Chapter 1

NAOMI'S P.O.V.

(1988)

I was sprawled out on my bed listening to the radio, like I usually do as I fight with myself to get up.
It was finally Friday, the first Friday that I've had off of work for weeks now and honestly, I felt like just laying here all day.
"Oh baby, baby, baby." I sang along to one of my favorite Karyn White songs, 'The Way You Love Me.'
"I might as well face it. I've fallen in so dee.." I stopped when all of a sudden I heard the telephone ring. I groaned before turning the music down and reaching over to grab the phone that was sitting on top of my dresser next to my bed.
"Hello?" I answered.
"Naomi! It's me.",  I heard my best friend's voice holler on the other end.
"Hey T. What's good girl?" I asked. Tina and I met at the beginning of middle school and have been inseparable ever since. We also went to high school together and she even lived just a few blocks away from me.
"Nothing really." She breathed out. "What you up to?"
"Not much. Just laying down, listening to music." I told her.
"Girl! Are you serious? It's the weekend, you need to get your behind off that bed." She paused. "Didn't O'shea hit you up?"
"Yeah...he did yesterday, talking bout' going to some club to celebrate an album release or something."
O'shea was also a really good friend who I met in high school. He has always been talented at writing music and you could never catch him without a pen and a notebook. He formed this rap group with some of his friends and now they're blowing up, so he invited us to celebrate with him and his homeboys.
"But like...I don't know. I'm not totally in the mood for it today." I continued.
"Naomi, you're never in the mood to go out anymore. I mean like... all you do is stay in the house since you broke up with you know who." Oh no, she didn't just bring my ex up. "We get to chill with N.W.A! Who else gets to say that?!"
My ex and I dated back in high school but shit didn't work out because...you know what? In shorter words, I found out the dude was on rock and he was crazy...to say the least. Honestly, I was way over him. I was over him the same day I left his grody ass.
"It isn't that T. I've just been working so much. I'm tired." I stopped. "Ain't no one else gonna pay the bills around here. You know my grams could barely move around."
Yeah, I lived with my grandma. I didn't really know my dead beat dad nor his family and my mom was killed in a drive by shooting when I was really young. My grandma says she jumped on top of me to cover me from all of the flying bullets. She saved my life and gave hers for mine. I don't remember much of that day, it was all a blur to me. So yeah...I was left with my grandparents but my grandfather died a couple years back due to a cardiac arrest. They took good care of me and now it was my turn to take care of my grams, the only family member I had left.
"I know...but I just want to go out and have fun with my best friend once in a while. I miss you." She continued. "C'mon. Just for a few hours."
I sighed in defeat, knowing she wouldn't back down from this, "Alright T. I'll pick you up later, around 7. Cool?"
She squealed, happy that I gave in, "Sounds good. See you later!"
I smiled and shook my head at her excitement, "Alright. Later."
I hung up the phone and looked over at the clock.
'5:48PM'
I might as well start getting ready I guess. I let out another heavy sigh before slowly moving to the other dresser across my room. I stared at myself in the mirror and examined my face before shifting my glance to a photo of my mom wedged on the side of it.
It's crazy how much I looked like her when she was around my age. I have the same round brown eyes, long natural dark hair, her light golden brown skin and I was just as short. I've always been told she was the most beautiful woman on the block. My grandma says men would line up to be with her. From what I've seen in pictures, she really was breathtaking. As much as I loved my mom, I hated thinking about her. It was really hard growing up without her, especially at such a young age and it was even harder to accept that she was gone.
I sighed, running my fingers through my hair before I continued to rummage through my clothes. Finally, after I settled for a black, strapless bustier top and some dark blue jeans, I hopped into the shower. Once I was out, I put my hair in my big rollers and let that dry as I did my make up. By the time I was done dressing up, fixing my loose curls and buckling the strap on my black heels, it was time to head out. I walked out of my room and saw my nana sitting on the sofa in front of the t.v.
"Hey grams." I greeted.
"Hi baby." She spoke and turned to look at me. "Where are you headed?"
"I'm just meeting a few friends over in Com- ." I stopped myself. "Not far from here."
She didn't like the idea of me being in Compton, especially late at night so of course I had to lie to her.
"Well okay. But you know, I don't like you out there in these streets late at night."
Okay. Well, she didn't like the idea of me anywhere I guess.
"You see the news, don't you?" She asked, worriedly.
I sighed as I grabbed her hand, "Yes grandma. I'll be okay, I promise. Plus, O'shea will be there. He'll protect me."
"O'shea? I don't know no O'shea." She furrowed her eyebrows.
"You know O'shea, grams. The cute boy from down the street, with the jheri curls."
"Oh, yes him. He's such a sweet boy." She stopped. "Alright but just be careful now."
"I will. I'll see you later." I kissed the side of her head and walked out the door, making sure I locked it before I got in my car and drove to pick up Tina.