Chapter Fifty-Three

Josie's P.O.V.

We were out of the hotel room, walking around the town. Since the sun was setting, it made it even easier for us to disguise our faces from random onlookers. It was as if we were perfect again. We were never perfect before, but our relationship was better, at least, the best it's been in a while.

We entered the cheesiest 50s themed restaurant with big red and white booths and a juke box that you had to put a quarter into to play music. The waiters and waitresses were all wearing clothes from another era, from flowy midi skirts to slicked back hair. We were seated in a booth overlooking the increasing nightlife that this small town seemed to offer with more and more pedestrians filling the streets. It was a far way from the country side, where our hotel was located in, which was a huge scenic change, but a beautiful one at that.

Luke ordered a large vanilla milkshake and specifically asked for two straws as if today couldn't get more cliche enough. By now I would've thought that we hit the maximum overload of cheesiness, but Luke was able to surpass that.

"It's been months, but you haven't changed," I commented sipping on my straw of the milkshake as he held one of my hands in his. We were sat across from each other in a booth, but he had his long legs stretched out underneath the table allowing me to feel his foot against mine as if we weren't already physically touching.

"I actually did, for a little bit," he shrugged with a slight droop in his usually broad shoulders

"The whole thing really did screw us both over," I added

"But you got one hell of a song out of it," I continued making him protrude the slightest of smiles as he shook his head

"And you probably have one hell of an album coming out this week," he said back as I looked at him

Before today, I would've never thought that he would even bother to read something about me online, but I guess his words prove otherwise

"Did you google me?" I questioned jokingly since I never even mentioned my album release to him

"No, but you're all over the tv and the internet to promote it, it's kinda hard not to know about it," he answered

"Well, since you already know the date, I think all you need now is the time for you to arrive at the party," I smiled, but this time I watched his start to fade

"Is that an invitation?" He asked seeming confused mixed with a hint of hesitation at his words

"I doubt that I can make it through the entire event without you, so yeah," I said hopefully, but received a sigh from the other half of the table

"Kate's going to be there, she doesn't know what happened and I feel like we're better off if it stays that way," he explained

I knew he was right, but I still couldn't fathom spending that day without him. The album was written about our entire relationship after all, through all the trials and tribulations, I didn't want his presence at the event to be a statement to the paparazzi or the fans, I wanted it to validate ourselves and our survival through all the bullshit. But he does have a point.

I didn't reply, knowing that he was justifiably correct, but he took my silence as a caution sign.

"But if you want me to go, then I'll do it for you," he spoke

Luke's P.O.V.
I don't know whether it was a sense of relief or regret after I said those words to her, but I knew that in the moment it was what she needed to hear. Releasing an album is stressful, especially when you've been through the struggle we have been through both as individuals and as a couple. Honestly, I just want to be next to her for as long as humanly possible as crazy as that sounds.