T H R E E

It's funny how at times you think you know what family is. There's a mom, a dad, a sister and a brother. You grow up thinking that the way your family interacts with each other is how everyone's family does. When in fact it's the total opposite.

I never had a dad in the picture in my family, there would sometimes be that boyfriend of my moms who would stay for dinner for a couple days but they never lasted. It was always just me and Tate and Navy and sometimes my mom that I really let create my idea of what a family was.

So when I found myself sitting at this large table surrounded by multiple strangers, it was weird to me that I felt a sort of sense of belonging and love as I sat around these people I only knew for an hour.

"Oh sweetie that is probably the 10th time you've complement me on my food, you don't have to keep saying it." Hasley or Mrs. Clarke smiled at me from across the table.

She was Cody's mom and I could definitely see a good resemblance in them. She shared the same deep brown eyes, although she had darker brown hair that was long and braided to the side.

I smiled back at her before taking another bite of my steak. I wasn't just trying to be nice the food was amazing.

"So your going into business?" Chad Clarke asked looking up at me.

Hasley's husband, he was a larger man who had dark brown hair with stripes of silver running through it, as he aged. The biggest thing that I noticed about him was how cracked and worn out his hands were.

I nodded answering his question and finishing chewing my food before talking.

"Planning on going to New York for school, then I'll probably work for my family company."

"HH co?" May asked. "The one that took over that popular magazine."

I nodded confirming.

"What does the HH stand for?" Rowdy asked trying to cut his steak himself but failing miserably Cody started to help him and I smiled at it.

I was just full of smiles today.

"It stands for my moms name, Harley Hansen." I replied.

He nodded.

"That's cool, can we name the ranch after me?" He asked looking to his uncle.

Everyone laughed.

"Rowdy Clarke? Sounds believable." Jane said sarcastically.

Everyone was happy and welcoming except for Lexi, May's daughter. She sat at the end of the table quietly eating. I wondered whether she was just naturally quiet or if she hated the idea of me being her. As that was the vibe that I got from her. I hope it was the first because I'd really hate for someone to hate me already.

"It is absolute beautiful up here." I commented.

"Indeed. Cody or Tate will have to take you riding through the mountains some time. I'm sure you'll love it." Hasley said smiling.

"Riding? That would be amazing. I've never rode a horse before though."

"It's not too hard." Tate said.

Cody started laughing at his comment and  I looked at him confused.

"Should have seen the first time Tate got on a horse, best thing in the world." He cried looking down at his plate laughing still.

Tate glared at him and I could tell they had a good bond. Like a brother bond. I was happy about that. Happy that even after Tate had a crummy start he is happy now.

"I only fell off twice." He said through gritted teeth.

"Which isn't bad." Jane said encouraging but you could tell she was struggling to keep in her laugh as well.