His Mate....Twelve

Adriannah didn't know how to tell him, she didn't want him to hate her and she didn't want her cousin dead. However Dean's tight grip was a reminder that she could escape this, the cat was out of the bag.

"Never mind that I said that." She tried to see if he would let go but that was going to work.

"Adriannah..." Dean's voice dropped a level lower when he said her name.

"Once you promise not to hate me or walk away."

Taking a deep breath, Dean looked at her. "Fine." 

Sighing, she spilled everything. From what Sway told her, what would happen if she didn't follow his orders and right down to how she really felt about him.

"I wouldn't have expected to fall in love with you but I did. I never meant to put any of your family in danger, mostly Eli. I love that boy with all my heart. It’s just that I was put into a situation where if I don't kill you, Andrew will die and I am torn between it all. I am really sorry." 

Dean looked at the woman in his arms, despite all of what she was assigned to do, she loved him. But he didn’t know what to do from here; a thousand thoughts ran through his head. Should he be mad?

The silence Adriannah was getting from Dean scared her, however she deserved this. She put his family in danger. Getting from his grip that was no longer strong, she left his study. Her heart heavy, she fought back tears as she passed pictures in the hall of Dean and his family. He doesn’t need someone like me. He needs someone better, someone who won’t stab a knife through his heart.

Dean cursed as he slapped his fist against his desk. He wanted to rip her heart out, but he couldn’t. Why the hell couldn’t he? He loved her, she was his mate, life partner.

The wolf in you knows that if an outsider threatens your family, you take them down at all cost. She threatened your pack. Kill her!

But I love her.

Love has nothing to do with it, kill her now before it’s too late. Letting her live is the biggest mistake.

Dean gave a low growl as he remembered his father’s dead corpse in a coffin, his father trusted the vampires with the Treaty and instead they turned on him. Now he trusted Adriannah and now from her own mouth she has to kill him?! Trying to control his anger, he opened one of the draws in his desk and took out a gun. Regret tore at him as he touched the bite marks, Adriannah had given to him.

When you love something, you must let it go.

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

Adriannah began to pack her things, when Dean’s mother came in. “Going somewhere, hon?”

“I have some important things to attend to at the Embassy and it might take a while.” She tried her best not to sound like was crying for the last few minutes. “Can you please not inform any of them of my leaving until I am gone?”

“Adriannah, I might be forty-nine years old and hiding that sad face isn’t going to pass me. Now park it on that chair and you are bloody hell going to tell me what is going on?”

Obeying she did what she was ordered and told the same thing she told Dean. She couldn’t hold back her tears as Dean entered the room as she spoke. His mother looked at his face and instantly stood up. 

“Ms. Nash. Let him do what he has to do. The wolf in him is being protective.” Adriannah stared into Dean’s eyes. Betrayal, love and hate flashed in them.

“I am being more than protective; I honestly want to kill you.” He growled. “You put me, my pack, family and people in danger.”

“Dean isn’t she your family now? Your mate?” His mother said coming between him and Adriannah.

“She is nothing-”

“Dean shut up.” Adriannah snapped. “You think I wanted to do this? You think I want Eli without his father, your mother grieving over another man she lost in her life and a community of werewolves to go without a leader? Like I told you before, it was you or my cousin and I choose you. But when I fell for you, I couldn’t do it. I thought you of all people would understand.” Her body shook as she turned her back to him and resumed to her packing.

Dean glanced down at his mother, who glared at him. “If you were in her shoes, what would you do?”

Without a second thought Dean answered, blankly. “I would kill her.” Disgusted his mother left.

His answer caused Adriannah’s heart to shatter. Memories of her family and parents’ words and insults flooded back into her mind. Pure rage and sadness filled her, as she blinked away a river of tears. Taking a deep breath she faced Dean.

“From this moment on, I don’t regret what I gave you, you are just like the bastards that put me down in life and you deserve nothing but unhappiness. I will not be the mate to an asshole. I pray to god, Eli turns out to be a better man than you.” 

Without a word, Dean kept his eyes to the ground. He was no longer angry, but hurt. She had been through enough and now instead of helping her to stop Sway, he was making it worse. However his thoughts were interrupted but Eli’s little voice.

“ADRIE!” He yelled as he ran into the room and hugged her leg.

“Yes, little man.” She picked him up, smiling.

“I made this for you.” He pushed a colorful drawing in her face. “Do you like it?”

“Hold on, sweetie.” She took the drawing from him and looked at it.

“It’s me, you and daddy.” He snuggled against her.

“I think it’s gorgeous. I wish I could draw like that.” She kissed his cheek, and then looked at Dean. “Ya know what how about you and I make a triple chocolate cake? Then after watch Finding Nemo again? But go and find the apron I bought you.” Eli nodded as she set him on the ground and watched him run out the room, ignoring Dean as he went. Adriannah’s eyes drifted from Eli running to his room to Dean’s face. “I have no intention of hurting you or your family.” 

She pushed passed him but Dean quickly shut the door. “I am sorry if I have made you feel awful. That wasn’t my intention at all. I am sorry. I was angry and I didn’t want anyone ending up like my father. I spoke without thinking.” Looking into her eyes he saw pure rage and sorrow.

“What has been said can’t be erased. If you will excuse me I have a cake to bake.” She moved him aside and opened the door. “Oh and don’t worry, I wont poison it.” She slammed the door behind her, leaving Dean alone in the silent room.