“Who did you think I was?”

     “Oh,” Rachelle answered with a wave of her hand, a smile still in place. “I thought it was Nick. He always arrives just when I’m about to do something stupid.”

     As if summoned by her thoughts, Nick came rushing into the lobby, obviously searching for her. Their eyes locked and not even a second passed before he was dashing towards her, ready to give her a hug.

     “You alright?” Nick asked her as they pulled out of the short embrace.

     “Hm-hm,” Rachelle answered with a nod. “Those were from years ago. Not much affected. Nah-ah.” She made a wiping gesture by crisscrossing both of her hands.

     Rachelle saw Nick narrow his eyes at Liam. She didn’t know what to make of it but she was thankful that Liam did not see it. God knew what he would have thought.

     Nick took a breath, dismissing what seemed to have been a suspicious thought against her other companion. He faced her again and told her with assurance, “Good. I’m just a phone call away if you need anything.”

     “If you’re really the best friend, she shouldn’t need to call you. You’d know immediately. You know, like instincts,” Liam butted in as he looked at the photos. His voice sounded sharp and a bit too shrewd.

      “Excuse me?” Nick answered with an annoyed tone.

     “What I’m saying,” Liam told him as he turned to face Nick, “is that you should know exactly what’s on her mind and exactly what she needs. No statements needed.”

     “What made you think I don’t? Huh?” Nick demanded, his voice rising.

     “I don’t know. Maybe the fact that she still has to call you?” Liam taunted.

     A muscle started ticking on the side of Nick’s forehead but he still tried to keep calm.

     “Do you have a problem with me?” Nick asked. His balled fists were the only indication that he was pissed. Rachelle felt dread rising up from her stomach.

     Liam shrugged. “None really. Just stating an observation,” he said mockingly. Before anyone could speak however, he decided to continue.

     “Maybe you have a problem with me.” Liam raised his chin, as if facing a challenge. “Tell me, why do you always look at me like I’m some damned criminal?”

     “I don’t trust the likes of you,” Nick replied with equal venom. “Too good to be true. And these incidents started when you arrived in Heartlake.”

     “And that makes me the perpetrator?” Liam gave him a sarcastic laugh. “What a stupid assumption.”

     No one would ever appreciate being called stupid and Nick obviously thought the discussion had gone personal. Rachelle knew it had something to do with her because this was her best friend and her prospective boyfriend. So before a fist fight occurs, she decided to intervene.

     “Okay guys. Why don’t we all cool down? Classes are about to start.” She emphasized her statement by tapping her watch. “Liam, please don’t take Nick’s actions the wrong way. I’m sure he was just being paranoid,” she told Liam in a voice as calming as she could.

     “I’m not paranoid. I’m trying to figure out who on earth is behind all these attacks on you,” Nick clarified, proving her statements wrong.

     “Nick, stop it,” Rachelle commanded him with a raised eyebrow.

     “What’s so good about that guy, Rach? His Porsche?” he asked her angrily.

     “Nick, please.”

     “That guy could very well be the person behind all these!” Anger exploded from Nick.

     People had started to gather and Rachelle was suddenly feeling like her life was starting to become some damned movie. She did not understand what actually happened between these two guys but she definitely did not like the effects.

     “Don’t say that, please. You don’t know him,” she said, hoping that statement would end the discussion.

     “Ha! How long have you known that guy? Hell, how much do you know him? For all we know, he’s already plotting the next scandal over you!”

     Rachelle didn’t like that idea. She didn’t like how her best friend was so quick to judge Liam and how Nick didn’t seem to remember that Rachelle wouldn’t let herself be careless, especially with guys.

     “Stop!” She raised her hands. “Stop it! Don’t you say anything more!” She felt anger rushing through her veins. “I can’t believe you can be so pigheaded! Why don’t you just leave Liam alone? Anybody could have done that!” She pointed an angry finger at the bulletin board. “It could be him, him, her,” she dragged her finger to random onlookers, “or it could be the school president! Dammit, Nick. For all I know, it could be you!”

     A silent second passed before Rachelle’s eyes widened with surprise. Did she just accuse her own best friend of betrayal? Oh god. Never in her life had Nick done anything to warrant such an accusation and not even the recent incidents should have made her think of it. If there was anyone she could trust besides her family, it was Nick.

     But hell, she was angry and she was merely trying to make a point. She looked at her best friend’s stunned face and knew that he didn’t expect what he just heard. Hurt and disappointment marked his eyes.

     “I see,” Nick said with a nod. He seemed calm but those two words exuded coldness that she had never heard before. “And I thought you trusted me.”