Chapter Twenty Five

"Jay!"

"Hi Sam!" I scooped her up in a giant hug. "Guess what?"

"I know!" She grinned. "We get to go out today. The doctor told me my heart is stable enough for now."

"Good because I have something great planned for today and I-"

I was interrupted by Sam giving me a giant kiss. My heart fluttered in my chest, a wonderful sensation spreading through me. I laughed aloud. "What was that for?"

"Just because I can." 

I loved this side of Sam, when she was so spontaneous. When we aren't together, Sam is shy and socially awkward. When we are, she is sweet and fun. I love all of her different characters though. Every part of Sam was perfect just the way it was.

"Are you ready?" 

"Uh huh." She nodded her head. "Let's go."

When we got into my car, Sam was practically jumping out of her seat in excitement. 

"Sorry Sam... I forgot, uh, something at my house."

"That's okay. Just don't take too long." She winked.

I had planned to take Sam to the carnival today after dinner. I had accidentally left the tickets in my room. Lately I was so scatterbrained around Sam. 

When we pulled up to my house, I prayed my mom or dad wouldn't be there, although Sam might enjoy talking with them. I hoped my mom wouldn't embarrass me in front of Sam any further, though it was inevitable. When I opened the door, all my fears were confirmed.

"Hi Jay." My mom happened to walk right by as soon as I opened the door. "Oh! Hi Sam!"

"Hi Mom." I winced. "I... Um, forgot something here. Just gotta go get it."

"Hello Mrs. Reed! Jay, I'll just be down here."

I couldn't object. "Okay. One minute." I hurried upstairs.

The tickets were right on my bed where I had left them. I cursed under my breath and went to get Sam. Bits of conversation drifted up the stairs and I couldn't help but listen in.

"- and thank you so much for hanging out with James." It was my mom's voice.

"Yeah. He is so nice to me and is really fun to be around. Sometimes when i'm with Jay, he just helps me forget everything."

There was a pause. "Sam, I really meant what I said earlier. Before James met you, he sort of hit a rough spot. The doctors had clinically diagnosed him with severe depression. Since he met you, James hasn't had to take any of his medications. I think he feels the same way about forgetting everything when you are with each-other. He cares so much about you-"

"I care a lot about him, too."

"You know he would give the world to you if he could? James spends so much time just trying to make you happy. If I didn't know any better, I would say you two are in love!" That was enough.

"H- Hey Mom, Sam." I nodded my head. "Let's go."

My mom reached out and gave Sam's hand a squeeze. "Alright! You two have fun!" 

Sam gave my mom a wink and quick laugh before heading out of the door with me.

"Let's go!"