Chapter 23. Gone

Liara's pov.

It was impossible. Utterly impossible. My body and soul were shattering and with every passing minute it would get more difficult to mend; until it was impossible. Why couldn't I see past that. Why was I SO wrapped up in the present. I disgusted myself. I deserved every single thing I got.

It was correct that I was not a killer, and I refuse to be. But the future is so clouded and my eyes are so blind.

The feeling that I was overcome with, it was terrifying. I didn't want it back.

I was on the verge of losing myself to someone I didn't know, a complete stranger. One day It would consume me.

For some reason it hadn't shown itself until Jeff appeared and I didn't know what to make of it. Much worse things were occurring and there I was wondering if a killer's feelings for me were true; when in reality they were nonexistent. He very easily stole my heart, too easily, and I didn't want to admit it. I was too stupid to see. Yet it felt so real.

I ran down the street, and into the woods. I felt torn branches get caught in and tangle my hair as I sprinted through. My breathing was heavy, my lungs felt like bursting and my body collapsing. I kept going without looking back. All the trees towered over me, blocking the last beams of light coming from the street. I was surrounded by darkness and the moon. Somehow I felt at home.

I continued running till I came to the side of a highway. There were no cars and It was silent. A figure stood nearby, staring at the road. I looked closely and noticed it was Caleb. "Caleb?" I exclaimed. He looked over, his eyes widening.

"Liara..? What are you doing here..?"

"Caleb! Wha-"

"Liara, its one in the morning."

"I was going to ask you the same thing."

"What happened? Your hair, its all messed up.." He walked over and began picking the torn branch pieces out from my hair, smoothing it. I sneaked a peek at his face before I looked away.

"Woods.." I coughed out a chuckle that was too hard to believe, even for Caleb. "They're rough at night.."

"Do you want me to take you home?"

"No! I mean, it's fine.. I want to be here." I whispered. "I have some things to figure out on my own.." Caleb stared at me, and without thinking I pulled him into a tight hug. His body temperature was different than Jeff's, everything was. Wrapped up in Caleb, I felt safe when Jeff gave off a dangerous feel that always made me uneasy. The biggest difference to me was that I found comfort in Jeff's embrace.

Releasing myself from the hug, I pulled away and stepped back. "Goodbye, Caleb." I mouthed before turning around and running off, letting the darkness of the woods devour me.

I don't know what exactly triggered me to make the decision I did. Actually I can't remember much. All I can recall was giving in. One thing I was sure of was that I had lost my mind, where it went I wasn't sure. She was always waiting to consume me, Jeff was just the first step in the trigger. He was what resurrected her inside me, and I that I could not condone.

He brought out a side of me that I didn't know and at the same time I was so terrified of being devoured by.

What is going on. .

Everything was pitch black. Why couldn't I see. Reaching my arms out, I advanced, trying to get ahold of anything I was able to. A walked for a while before I saw a small amount of visible light. It was at the end of this dark tunnel. I picked up ny pace, eager to get to the light. Breaking into a sprint, the light became closer and closer.

My feet slid against the ground and I fell onto the floor with a thud. I looked up and found myself in a room. The walls had visibly peeling wallpaper and black cracks on the roof. A single mirror was nailed onto the wall.

There was a woman in the mirror who stared back at me blankly, she wasn't me. She couldn't be.. She looked strangely familiar, like I've known her all my life. Her hair was tangled; a mess, and eyes so dark it looked black. I placed my hand against the mirror and she mimicked my move.

Things were starting to get stranger. Her eyes watched me.

I raised my hand, and to my horror she did the same.

It didn't take much for me then to finally realize the person in the mirror was. . my reflection. 

------------------

Alright guys, a lot of you wanted me to have a soundtrack for this story. Here is what I have so far, I'll be adding more songs as the story progresses. I hope you guys like!

Vindictive Soundtrack

1. Elfen lied lilium musicbox version

2. Already over - Red

3. Bittertaste - Three days grace

4. Breathe no more - Evanescence

5. Criminal - Britney spears

6. I hate everything about you - three days grace

Love, Alice xoxo