Kabanata 7

Kabanata 7

Her Ladyship's Son

When I woke up after my bath, I surprisingly came down with a flu. 

I was not sure if it was due to mentally asking for it, or if it was because my still scandalized body's simply exhausted. All in all, though, I keep thinking it was a blessing in disguise.

Being sick was a good excuse for me not to go out of my hotel room, and also a valid reason to consume my free breakfast through room service.

It was a viable excuse, too, para iwasan ang mga dapat hindi na makita.

But, even my gut-feel knew it was still too early for me to celebrate.

Because just when I thought the universe was actually being nice, to allow me to dodge another confrontation, here came life to bite me in the ass.

Life's a bitch talaga.

And a treacherous one, at that.

"Lala," that nickname suddenly sounded tasteful, uttered by The Lady's mouth. "You clean all of our bathrooms?"

Nakailang lunok muna ako, and forced myself to concentrate on The Lady's face and voice, before answering.

"O-Opo," simpleng sagot ko lang sana, ngunit nang makatanggap ng paniniko mula kay Mayordoma, ay dinagdagan ko. "Opo, Madam."

The Lady smiled graciously at me, and stared at my face. Hindi ako umiwas ng tingin.

It was my first time seeing the owners of this Mansion, in the flesh. And if it weren't for this moment, I would've thought the people behind the portraits and oil paintings that lined their halls, weren't real humans.

This family's aristocratic, almost God-like features were of museum quality, and I never thought I would be so capable of feeling smaller than I already am.

"You look young," The Lady cocked her head to the side, still observing me, and I can't help but fidget.

Seriously, what is going on?

"How old are you?"

And almost immediately, my eyes darted towards one of the men standing across the table from her. Muntik pa akong mapaubo nang mapang-abot pa ang aming tingin.

His forehead knotted, at tiim-bagang iniwas ang mga mata sa akin.

I casted my eyes down again.

"21," I answered softly, squeezing my fingers back to life. Pakiramdam ko'y tuluyan na nga akong tinakasan ng dugo. "21 na po ako, M-Madam."

She nodded at me, ngumiti ng konti, bago si Mayordoma nanaman ang tiningnan.

I do not exactly know what was happening, but my senses were already telling me I should start freaking out. Like, right now.

"Ilang taon na siyang nagtatrabaho rito, Mayordoma?" she asked fluently, making my eyes widen at Her Ladyship's smooth language transition. "At siya 'yong may pinaka-malaking sahod sa lahat?"

"Mag-da-dalawang taon na po si Lala rito, Madam," sagot naman ni Mayordoma at sinulyapan ako. "Opo, Madam, siya po, sa lahat ng kasambahay."

The Lady nodded again bago ulit ako binalingan.

Postura itong naka-upo sa likod ng napakalapad na mesa. Not a hair out of place with her classy updo. And if it weren't for the grandeur of her Mansion, she would've looked too much as she rocked the precious stones and pearls that she wore with her crisp corporate ensemble.