Letters (01)

"Ok class, finish turning in your letter then change the font, make it personal. Tell the soldiers about you and our community," your teacher walked over to the podium in the corner of the classroom. "Then once you've done that, share it with me."

You felt yourself raise your hand. "What will happen to these?" You asked and the teacher looked at you.

"They are going to be sent overseas," she responded and you nodded, looking back at your letter. You reread it.

Dear soldier,
  I'm a senior in high school this year, and next year plan to go to my favorite college. At that college I want to study in (subject), and sooner rather than later find a job in that field. But I'm not going to bore you with my academics. In our town there's going to be a new restaurant so there's something for me to look forward to. What do you look forward to on the other side of the world?

"All done?" The teacher asked you as she stopped beside your desk. Arms folded she looked down at your letter curiously.

"Yep, here you go," you folded the letter and handed it over to her. Sitting back in your desk, you imagined what the person you were writing to looked like.

§

Dylan flopped down on his bunker, grabbed his hat and threw it off, then opened his eyes further as he noticed something that felt like paper underneath his cheek. He pushed himself up to a sitting position and grabbed what looked like an envelope.

On the front it read: To my nameless soldier.

He smiled at the quirky address, and opened the envelope, careful not to make such a big tear. "Dear soldier..." He heard himself read aloud. As his eyes traveled down the lined paper, over the letters, he grinned.

And the girls question remained in his mind. "What do you look forward to on the other side of the world?" He said aloud, then he grabbed a paper and pencil and felt the tip of it moving across the paper surface smoothly.

Dear high school senior,
I remember when I was a senior, and I miss those days. Now I might've graduated last year, but it seems like ten years ago for me. You asked what I longed for on my side of this world; what I long for is to find my place in this world and to fight for my country. At home I hope you are doing what you can to help your community, and (p.s) your academics could never bore me. I'm glad I've gotten your letter, and hope to hear from you again.

Sincerely,
Your nameless soldier

With a cheeky smile, Dylan folded the letter and placed it in his pocket. When he reached the office he would hand it off to be sent to the United States, and await for the next one to arrive.

§

"(Y/n) something in the mail for you!" Yelled your mom making you jump from your bed and run down the steps. You imagined you would receive a present from your father, only because it was your birthday today. But instead, it was a false alarm, only a letter came to you.

"A letter?" You asked and your mom nodded, turning and walking back into the living room. "From who?" You asked yourself as you walked up the stairs, stopping at the top and walking to the right until your came to your door. You opened it and closed it behind you swiftly, then walked over to your desk and sat down.

The address read: To my high school senior

You read the words, your heart flipping over and over, making butterflies fly around as you read it. "Your nameless soldier." You read aloud, smiling.

Looking around for a pen, once you found one you clicked it and grabbed a lined piece of paper.

Dear nameless soldier,
I cannot keep calling you 'nameless soldier', I feel horrible for doing it. What's your name?