Make-up Shmake up

"You ever go a day without wearing make-up?" Someone said behind you, making you roll your eyes and turn around only to find the person wasn't talking to you. "I mean people who do must know how much they're missing out. Don't they realize that the only reason people notice us are because we use makeup?" You furrowed your eyebrows but kept walking, the words the girl said behind you replaying in your mind.

Once you got to your table you sat down, and looked at your friend. "Does makeup prettify people?" You asked and your friend let out a laugh.

"What?" She asked and you sighed.

"Should I wear makeup if I want to be noticed around here?" Your friend patted your back and shook her head.

"People notice you, and makeup only highlights your facial features." She commented then turned back to her lunch. You weren't satisfied.

"Who notices me?" You asked and looked around, your eyes landing on Dylan.

She smiled. "I do."

You rolled your eyes. "Not what I meant."

You looked at Dylan, the boy you've liked for three years, but he hasn't noticed you at all. Maybe sending a curious glance your way, but nothing more than that. "If you look pretty wearing makeup it's not the makeup that makes you pretty necessarily, because if you didn't have the features you had, makeup wouldn't even work." 

You looked away from Dylan. "I want makeup, I want to try it!" You said excitedly, and earned a laugh from some girls at your table. You ignored them as you looked at your friend with a pout.

She clicked her tongue. "Your mom would never—"

"She doesn't have to know." Your friend gasped because keeping something from your mom was new for you.

"You wouldn't be able not to tell her, and shed see." You scrunched up your nose.

"I'd take it off when I get home!" You exclaimed. "And I can keep secrets from my mom."

To everyone–including yourself–you were a goody-two-shoes, there was no way you'd be able to do this. Your friend narrowed her eyes at you. "I can do this, calm down, it's just makeup." But it wasn't, it was lying to your mom, and giving yourself a look that would make you stand out. People would notice you more and you didn't know if you were ready for that. You pushed off the table as you grabbed your lunch tray and dumped the contents you didn't eat into the trash.

§

"Okay so you're color is (y/s/c)," your friend said as you walked around Target until you found the makeup section. "Here!" She said grabbing a bottle of foundation. You looked at it and nodded.

"What's next?" You asked and she tapped her chin.

"Concealer, bronzer, highlighter, mascara..." Her voice trailed off as he picked out the makeup. "All done." She said as she held a little target bag.

"That was quick," you noticed.

"I learn about this stuff, alright? I want to be a professional make-up artist. It's always been my dream since I was five." She said passionately making you smile.

"I think that's amazing, (y/f/n)."

§

The next day you walked into school, feeling different, and it wasn't because of the makeup you had on. You kept your head down but accidentally bumped into the last person you wanted to bump into. "Oh sorry... (Y/n)..?" He said, a curious emotion in his eyes.

"Hey," you said looking up at him, finally feeling confident enough to talk to him.

"How's it going?" He asked, giving you a charming smile that you've seen him use on many girls. It was hypnotizing.

"Good, I guess. How about you?" You said surprised he was still talking to you, still paying attention.

"I'm fine," he paused as a couple of his friends walked by you two making kissing noises. Your face heated up and you looked away for a second as Dylan rolled his eyes. "See you around?" He called before walking away and after his friends.

Probably never, you called back to him inside your mind, mentally waving to him. Of course he couldn't hear you so he walked away with his friends, clueless of you wanting him to stay. As you walked to your locker your friend walked over to you. Not the one who did your make up.

"You look pretty today," she said smiling. "What did you do something new with your hair?" She touched your (h/c) hair.

You rolled your eyes. "Like you can't tell." You glanced at her and she furrowed her eyebrows.

"If I'm asking you obviously not," she laughed. You let out a sigh.

"Katana did my makeup last night. It's new, and you can't tell anyone—especially not my mom." You didn't know when she'd ever get the chance to but you thought you'd mention it just in case.

She laughed once more. "Okay?" She said and walked over to her locker to grab her books.

You were about to leave also until someone familiar stepped next to you. "Hey, sorry I had to um, leave so soon earlier." Dylan's voice rang in your ears and you turned your head to look at him.

"Oh?" You said confused as to why he had to apologize.

"Yeah," he paused looking around your locker. "Cute. Anyway I was wondering if you wanted to go out tomorrow, or this weekend?" He asked and you tried not to smile too wide.

"I can see if I can, I guess." More like you knew you were free.

"Sweet, now I for sure will see you later," he said in a sly voice then turned around in one move and walked to class. You watched after him, a smile plastered onto your face for the second time that day.

§

"He asked you out? This weekend?" Your best friend asked excited. "That makeup really works, huh?" She lightly touched your face but you smacked her hand away.

"Maybe it was because I finally got the chance to talk to him, not because of the makeup?" You argued and she furrowed her eyebrows.

"I don't know, but you're pretty without makeup so it could be that. I don't think you should wear it when you go on the date, though." She said and you froze.

"I shouldn't?" You asked a little confused, feeling nervous.

"No," she paused patting your forearm in a friendly matter, trying to comfort me. "You've gone years without it, you can go another day."

You let out sigh. "But what if I don't want to?" Makeup was fun, it was fun looking in the mirror and seeing a different you.

A/n: sorry this imagine might've not of been as good as I wanted, but I hope it wasn't horrible! I just wanted to get across a point, and that point is—you don't need makeup to be pretty, but wearing makeup doesn't mean your self-conscious about yourself. I've just started to wear make-up and I've gotten so many questions like "why do you wear that?" Or "you look pretty without makeup, you don't need it" and I almost laugh because I don't wear it just so I can make myself look 'prettier' I wear it because it... I just like the way it makes my skin soft, or highlights some parts of my face that naturally aren't highlighted. Or putting it on is always fun too.
Anyways...
   Thank you for those people who took the time and checked out my friends YouNow page. You guys are awesome!