Chapter 1

I was sitting in my window, legs hanging off the side of the house. Someone was watching me from the forest, and it was getting irritating, feeling the eyes rake over every inch of exposed skin. "Jerome, why don't you just come out already. I'm getting bored just sitting here feeling you watch me." There was no need to shout, not even when the tree line was a football fields length away and I was sitting three stories up. He was the Beta's son after all, and his hearing was remarkable, even for a Wolf. I heard soft, male laughter. 

"So observant, so focused. What gave me away?" He asked, appearing from the middle of the trees, three feet from where I thought he'd been. 

"As much as I hate to hurt your reputation, you're not as sneaky as you think you are." I looked down at him as he got to the base of the house. 

"I'm hurt. Truly hurt." He said, his hand covering his heart in mock hurt. "Anyways. Are you going to let me in the door? Or make me climb up the side of the house again?" I shook my head, smiling. 

"You aren't coming up this time." I said and dropped from the window, enjoying the wind whipping my hair around in the free fall before strong arms wrapped around my waist and set me on the ground. 

"You're crazy, you know that?" He shook his head, laughing quietly. 

"Oh trust me, you haven't seen crazy out of me yet." I chuckled and he slowly moved his arms from my waist. 

"Are you ready for the Hunt?" My face went blank, my eyes turning cold.

 "No, I'm being forced to go. So whether I'm ready or not doesn't matter." 

"I wonder..." He trailed off and I knew I couldn't let him finish that sentence in pack territory. 

"Don't ask it. Not here. Come on, I need to run anyways."

So we ran. And ran. And ran. We ran for miles and miles, hours and hours, until we were far from pack territory. We have rules, and by rules I mean laws, laws so strict some of them are punishable by death if broken. And I knew that what Jerome wanted to say very well could be one of those laws. When we had shifted back and were somewhat decent, he draped his arm over my shoulders playfully. "So, what I was saying before..." 

"Jerome, you know... We can't... Run." I said, messing with his hand on my shoulder. He sighed and pulled me a little closer. 

"You're not even 16 yet and they're making you go... What if the guy you find... What if he isn't your mate." His grip tightened even more. 

"Jerome." I mumbled quietly. 

"I know. I know. Best friends don't get a say about your Mate but..." I kissed his cheek. 

"I get it. I understand. But if you think he's not who he says he is, even if, if, someone claims to be my Mate, we'll kick his lying ass together." He kissed the top of my head. 

"But why would you think anyone would want to claim my poor, pathetic excuse of an ass for a Mate if they aren't actually mine? I'm not that great J." I gave him a wicked smile as he growled. 

"Don't say that. You know how my Wolf gets about you." I sighed and reached up, ruffling his hair. 

"Yes, yes I know. Territorial beasts." I mumbled under my breath. 

"I heard that." He growled playfully. I laughed and lightly hit his side, pulling away to avoid him ruffling my hair. He let out another playful growl and chased me as I turned and ran, laughing as I did.