You Didn't Kill Any of Them, Did You?

(Hazel's POV)

The lunch room bustles with activity as I walk in with Percy. We actually have become friends, despite the fact that we are totally different. He's pretty rad.

I know Annabeth says she hates him, and tends to show it, I also know that she doesn't really despise him. I've caught her looking at him a couple times.

"Hey guys!" I say, taking a seat by Annabeth. They all wave back, and Percy sits next to Jason.

I am about to pull out my lunch when I see Drew and her friends looking at me from the other side of the lunch room. She turns her head and snickers, and I can practically hear what she is saying.

She's such a freak, why is she even here? She should've died with her mother.

"I need to go to the bathroom.... I'll be right back," I say, standing up quickly and hurrying off as I see Drew and her friends stand.

I dash into the hallway, bumping into Frank Zhang on the way out. I look up at him, trying not to stare. I've had a crush on him for so long and I keep making myself look like a klutz in front of him. I mutter an apology and leave.

Why isn't there any way for me to connect him to my eagle tattoo?

Because we aren't meant to be.

I am about to go hide in the bathroom when I feel a spidery hand grip my shoulder. Drew spins me around and laughs in my face.

"Going somewhere, freakazoid?"

My face burns, and I back away. Her friend, Penny, comes up behind me and pushes me forward. "Nice try, loser."

"What do you want, Drew?" I ask quietly, looking at the floor. She laughs, her sneer filled with hatred.

"Aw, don't be like that! I just want to have some fun," she says with a cackle, and her friends snicker along.

Drew's other friend, Jenna, grabs me and shoves me up against the lockers. I wince as my back collides with the wall.

"So Hazel, do you drive?"

Oh no.

No no no no no.

I feel sick, my mind swirling with anxiety. They know that they are triggering me, possibly sending me into a panic attack.

No no no no no.

"What's the matter, are you afraid?" She hisses. I fight my mind, trying not to relive the accident.

"Let her go," A powerful voice sounds from the end of the hall.

(Percy's POV)

Hazel stood up and practically ran out of the lunch room. Something wasn't right.

Annabeth must have thought so too, because after she had been gone for about 5 minutes, she excused herself and followed Hazel.

I decided to follow her.

I hear some muttering from around the corner, then Annabeth's clear, powerful voice rings out through the hallways.

"Let her go."

I peek around the corner.

Hazel is being held up against a locker by that girl Jenna, while Drew and her friend Penny glare at Annabeth.

"What do you want, Annie?" She says exasperatedly.

Annabeth narrows her eyes and clenches her fists. I am about to step in when she speaks.

"You have two seconds to let Hazel down and get out of here before I make you regret this."

Her voice is eerily calm, and cold as ice. Drew and her friends scowl, not making any move to meet her demands.

In one swift motion, Annabeth crosses the hallway and sends a hard elbow flying into Jenna's stomach, causing her to yelp in pain, stumbling back and dropping Hazel.

Penny approaches her, throwing a punch. I jump up, running in there to make sure Annabeth doesn't get hurt, when I see Annabeth judo flip Penny over her shoulder.

"Woah," I mutter to myself.

Annabeth is really starting to impress me. I mean, she's gorgeous, she's a genius, and she can kick butt, apparently. Honestly, I'm not surprised.

Drew looks at Annabeth, then at me, then back at Annabeth. Finally, she scowls and walks away, followed by her scared friends.

"Hazel! Are you okay?" Annabeth says, running up to Hazel, who is sitting on the ground, knees pulled into her chest.

"I-I.... They..... My mom...." She stutters, face pale. Annabeth's face drops into a look of concern. I sit down next to them.

"Hazel. Listen to me. You are going to be okay. We're all glad your here, and whatever they said to you is bullsh**. We're here," I say, realizing that she is having a mini panic attack.

Hazel and her mother got into a car accident last year. Her mother was driving when a large truck hurtled into them at 70 miles an hour.

Ms. Levesque was killed instantly, and both were thrown from the car. Hazel shattered her leg, and got a concussion.

Ever since then, she has been terrified of driving. She was adopted by Nico's family, who also had a bad experience with a car.

Hazel's breathing calms, and she looks up at me. "Thanks, Percy. Annabeth, you didn't kill any of them, did you?"

Annabeth chuckles, and her laugh is light and airy. It's like music. "No, I let them live- this time."

We all get up and head back to the lunch room, and I realize that I may have a small thing for Annabeth. Possibly.

I try and get a glimpse of her tattoo, but her short-sleeved shirt is just long enough to cover it.

Dam it.

When we get back, we only have 10 minutes to eat. I scarf my lunch down, and ignore the strange looks as people realize that everything I'm eating is blue.