i.

CHAPTER ONE

CHAPTER ONE

From the moment she woke up, Lynx knew she had a rotten day ahead. Her roommate, Irene, woke her up while holding a notice from their mentor.

"If you skip class again, you'll be in bigger trouble," Irene tells her. "You can't avoid him forever, stop being so immature."

Just like her usual answers, Lynx brushes her off by turning her back from her and covering herself with the sheets. Her roommate sighs in defeat and leaves the notice on her bedside table. "We'll still take notes for you in case you change your mind. I have to go, the boys are waiting for me."

Lynx sighs heavily the moment Irene left. She feels bad for ignoring her friend but it's a lot better than attending class and seeing her mentor.

She was close to falling back to sleep again until she felt a change of atmosphere. Miasma suddenly lingered in the air and it took all her self-control to not inhale the somewhat addicting scent, at least for people like her.

"It's just us, you don't have to pretend to fight it," a deep voice says.

She grips the sheets tightly and tried to ignore the 'visitor'. The miasma becomes overpowering for a moment then it was minimized after a few seconds, indicating an opening and closing of a gateway.

She felt someone stepping closer so she kept her guard up. "What do you want?" she grunts, she only hears a chuckle in response.

The moment she felt someone's presence right behind her, she grabbed something underneath her pillow, kicked the sheets off, and turned.

"Get out of here." she snarls as she met two smug grins. She inwardly groans since this isn't the first time that these two have trespassed into her room.

"You could hurt me with that." the one behind her says as he tried pushing her hand away. However, Lynx stubbornly kept her switchblade aimed at him.

"It's exactly what I'm going to do if you don't get out of my sight," she warns.

This only amused her two visitors even more. "I love it when she's angry dear brother," the younger says as he licks his lips. "Her soul smells a lot more delicious when it has passion."

The elder eyes her before smirking. "Have I ever told you that my kind would love you in our place?"

"Plenty of times," she scoffs. "But I am not one of you."

"Do you really think so? I think you're forgetting what you're called, reject." he spat out the last word. Upon hearing it, she grabbed his arm but before her switchblade could even come in contact with his skin, the younger grabbed it from her.

"Give it back." Lynx glares.

"Calm down, we didn't come here to fight." the younger sighs as he places the blade in his pocket. "Our master sent us, have you even read the notice?"

"I don't care, I'm not showing up there and that's final."

"Today is the final warning. Are you really going to stay stubborn?" the elder asks. Lynx only averted her gaze which caused him to sigh. "Your other reject friends are going to get punished too if you don't show up today."

"What?" Lynx turns to him. "Why are Irene and the others suddenly involved?" she asks.

"It's in the notice," the younger shrugs. "The higher-ups must be desperate. After all, it's going to happen soon. Don't you feel the miasma thickening?"

Lynx suddenly feels guilty. Irene knew she was going to get punished if Lynx didn't show up yet she still didn't force her. Lynx felt bad for ignoring her.