Playing Detective

Flo PoV
  I was so mortified, and embarrassed about the way he behaved...in public! I wouldn't even dare sort out my bra in public let alone start shouting and skulking around like a silly child! I haven't spoken to Chris for a week and refuse to until I learn more about him. I even asked Ryan to go and move band practice to Ricky's house so I could avoid confrontation with him again.

Being honest with myself, I was scared of him, and the way he behaved. What if we were in a proper relationship and he flew of the handle again? If he could dent the side of his truck with his bear hand in public, what would he do behind closed doors? Throughout the past week, I haven't been able to get him off my mind, it's been like a plague. However hard I try, I just cannot figure him out and I'm usually good with people.

I needed to know more and that's the reason I invited Devin over today so he could tell me about Chris' past. Devin knocked on the door and I let him in, he didn't seem very keen to be here to be honest. "What's wrong?" I said concerned. He was usually more bubbly than this. "I don't know Flo, I just," He hesitated "I just feel guilty for what I'm about to tell you about Chris. He's like a brother to me and I don't know how he would feel about me telling you all this stuff.." He trailed off. I sighed and we walked into the kitchen and I offered him some hot steaming coffee. He then followed me up to my room so we could talk more privately. "Look Dev, I know this is hard for you but I really like Chris but I can't go any further than that unless I know more about him and at the moment he won't tell me anything...I can't figure him out" I said looking down at my big mug of coffee.

He then decided to open up a little and we spoke about Chris' childhood and how his father was always very aggressive towards his mother. "He err...he beat her sometimes and then she died. Chris wouldn't tell me how but I gathered it wasn't a natural death" I stared in shock at what I had heard. I suddenly felt guilt wash over me at the thought of Chris having to see what his father was doing to his mother at such a young age. "She died when he was just 9 years old and that's when life got really tough for him..." He trailed off and looked at me with sad eyes. I already knew what he was going to say, I'd seen this scenario before in one of my old friends. Devin continued "Chris began playing up and missing school. He mixed with the wrong people and was pressured into doing drugs and drinking a lot. That's when his father started beating him into submission." He stopped again and I could tell by his face that this was really tormenting him. "Look, I better go...I shouldn't be saying all this stuff." He said defensively. I then begged him to stay and tell me more as I was finally understanding why Chris was why he was. But there was one thing that didn't add up. "So why is he so possessive over women? I mean he totally lost it at that record store just because he found out that my ex had proposed to me once." I asked curiously. "Chris is um a great guy but like all of us he has a dark side and that dark side was brought out by the violence from his father and the hurt that Megan caused him. " he said. I asked who she was as just like everything else, Chris had old me nothing. "Megan was his first ever proper love. They met when he was 15 and she was his rock throughout the hard times with his dad. She was always quite flirtatious with other guys and Chris' friends at the time but he still loved her with everything he had. He was too blind to see what she was getting up to but one day he caught her at a party cheating on him and that's what has made him so insecure." He finished and drank some coffee. "Oh" was all I managed to say.

After a while of talking about Chris and random other things, Devin left and went home to work on some new riffs or something and I sat in my room just thinking about all the information I had just learnt. Dev told me that I couldn't ever say anything to Chris about Devin telling me all that stuff but how the heck was I supposed to get him to open up to me and tell me himself? With our current confrontation afloat, I really didn't see this predicament ending very well. This man was damaged...and I didn't know how to fix him.