5 ~ and her daddy was an astronaut

5     and her daddy was an astronaut

It’s nine thirty in the morning on Monday. I’m standing outside of the Gallows’ Mansion with my backpack hanging from my arm. The van that drives by catches my eye. Maybe he’ll be willing to give me a ride… to anywhere but here…

No. No I have to do this. I told Abigail that I would be here for her birthday.

Tightening the straps of my bag I put the key code into the gate. It swings open and I stroll inside.

The lawns are unusually quiet and peaceful for a summer day. I assume everyone is inside eating a big birthday breakfast. So when I get to the front door I don’t even knock, just let myself in and take my shoes off.

“Hello?” A high pitch voice calls. Miss Gallows is peaking her head in from the kitchen. She grins when she sees me, her light hazel eyes sparkling. “Abigail! You have a guest!”

I hear three sets of anxious feet. And in a few seconds three young girls are squealing at my side.

“LENA!” Abigail shouts. She hugs me as I spin her around in a circle. “I’m so glad you came!”

“I take my toes very seriously,” I reply. I can’t help the smile that spreads across my face. “Happy birthday love.”

Abigail giggles. Then she steps away so she can introduce her friends. “Lena, this is Indira and Hailey. They’re good friends of mine. Indira, Hailey, this is Lena.”

“Oh we’ve met,” Hailey says. “I came over a few weeks back.”

“That’s right!” I say, remembering the book-y brunette with wide framed glasses. “You helped me get Cade dressed.” I nod and give her an approving thumb up. “I like you.”

“I have heard so many things about you,” Indira exclaims. She’s a happy looking Indian girl with soft brown curls. She’s wearing an orange and yellow jumper and big dangling earrings. “And I’m so excited for TODAY!”

“That’s good,” I say amusedly. But I still can’t help the rattling nerves in my stomach.

My boss comes in. She’s still wearing her silky pajamas but looks very much awake. She grins and hands me a cup of tea. She knows I can’t stand morning coffee. “Nice to see you, Lena,” she says. “So you’re going with the girls today?”

I reluctantly nod.

Her smiling eyes look to my outfit. “Dearest, you aren’t wearing that to meet the boys are you?”

Abigail laughs at me.

Well… I’m being honest when I say I’m purposely not trying very hard. A grey shirt paired with an ugly pair of high-waisted ripped up shorts is all I have in mind. I don’t even think I brushed my hair when I woke up. Going all natural, if you know what I mean.

“Oh dear…” Miss. G tisks. “Come with me. I have something you can borrow.” She takes my hand lovingly and leads me away. “Girls, would you like to help?”

“A makeover? Indira screams. “I AM SO EXCITED!”

“This is necessary,” I say. “I have clothes out in my cottage.”

“Nothing that you’d want to meet One Direction in, probably. I know you only bring the messy things here. All your nice dresses are at home.”

“A dress?”

“Of course,” She leads me into her walk in closet. A chandelier is shining from the ceiling. Hundreds of shoes and jackets are floating around me. I blink and tell myself it isn’t a dream.