Experiment after experiment

Frisk has been living in Alphys's lab for about a month now. Frisk is currently in Alphys's new lab up on the surface where both Undyne and Alphys both live. Mettaton is still in the old lab watching over the last few amalgamates since he volunteered. Frisk is not living in captivity, but they are not allowed to leave the lab alone. Life in the lab is not terrible it's actually quite fun. There were some times where Frisk lost it and Chara came into power. In those times Undyne would have to take Frisk to the soul checking machine and lock them in. Alphys would then check their soul and see Frisk's soul covered mostly in black, but when Frisk gains control again some of the black goes away. Alphys came up with a hypothesis that when Chara is controlling Frisk, Frisk's soul "temporarily" becomes their's, but Frisk then gets control Chara loses their "temporary" soul.

"F-Frisk I w-want to d-do an experiment on you." Alphys said.
"Okay what is it?" Frisk asked.
"W-well I k-kinda need C-Chara. Y-you see I c-came up w-with an idea t-that w-when Chara takes c-control of y-your body y-your soul becomes kinda l-like t-their temporary soul. Once y-you gain c-control y-you gain your s-soul back." Alphys said.
"So basically you want me to lose control and try to gain it back?" Frisk asked.
"Y-yeah. C-can you p-please try?" Alphys asked.
"Okay, but I don't know how to get Chara to control me." Frisk said.
"H-how do y-you feel w-when C-Chara controls you?" Alphys asked.
"It feels painful at first, but then I go numb and it feels like I'm sleeping." Frisk answered.
"Maybe y-you just have to k-kinda go numb. F-forget about control and k-kinda go to s-sleep." Alphys said.
Frisk went inside the soul checking machine and began daydreaming. They then started thinking about nothing. Then Frisk felt a jolt of pain. They stayed still until they began to get up. Frisk started to fight for control trying to sit down. It was very painful, but they had some control. On the soul checking machine some parts were fading to black, but then quickly turned red. After ten minutes Frisk finished the fight for control and sat down and stayed there. It was still a little bit painful, but it stopped.
"I-I think w-we might f-find a way to s-save you." Alphys said.