Chapter 8. Formal Night (Part 2)

The formal wasn't even close to ending and the girls and their dates were already exhausted. Their excitement at the beginning had toned down considerably but was still thrumming with life. They had all decided before the formal however, to meet up near the backdrop once they all started getting tired so that's where they were all headed.

Sarah T, Kathleen, and Sarah A, the only people who hadn't meet up with their dates, had told the group that they would be leaving shortly after they all met up as they were going to meet up with their dates. Other than the three of them leaving, everyone was going to be staying together for most of the formal as they thought it would be more fun to dance together with all their friends

"So you three are going to be leaving us?" Kennedy frowned, over exaggerating her disappointment with their statement.

"Sadly yes." Kathleen sighed, hiding a smile as she played along.

"Kathleen we aren't leaving for the entire night-"

Kathleen cut Sarah T off mid sentence, "I'm gonna miss dancing with you guys..."

"Okay enough of that! You guys are leaving for not even an hour before coming back. Speaking of an hour-" Caroline shot Kathleen an unamused look, "-our friends have probably been waiting for us about that time."

"We were just having fun... No need to get snappy." Kathleen rolled her eyes.

Ever since Hailey had left the group Caroline had been acting weird. She was quieter than usual and keep looking around her as if expecting someone to be watching her. When Hailey had left, Caroline had disappeared momentarily only to appear moments later with a frustrated expression and had been in a bad mood ever since.

"Whatever..." Caroline mumbled before speed walking ahead of them and eventually getting lost in the crowd of people.

"What's wrong with her?" Sarah A whispered as she watched Caroline maneuver through the crowd of dancing students.

Kennedy shrugged, "She's been acting that way ever since she disappeared after Hailey left. Do you think something happened?"

"I don't know... She never acts like this but don't you think she would have told us if something had happened?" Sarah A frowned.

"She didn't tell us about what happened with Chance so why would she tell us now?" Kathleen rolled her eyes.

"It doesn't matter. We better get going or else Caroline might come back and yell at us for taking too long!" Sarah T teased, trying to lighten the mood.

The others nodded in agreement and began walking towards the backdrop near the back of the gym. In reality they didn't even know if the others were there already. None of them had their phones to text the others except for the guys and they were all with their dates so it was impossible to know when the others would show up.

When the girls arrived at the backdrop they weren't surprised to see Caroline already there and talking with the others. What they didn't expect however, was the uninvited and certainly unwanted guest who was talking with Caroline, Brianna, and Nico.

"What is he doing here? I thought Caroline hated him or something!" Kennedy whispered, pointing towards the boy in question who was, supporting Kennedy's statement, arguing with Caroline.

"I don't know but it doesn't look like they're having a very happy conversation..." Sarah T pointed out, glancing worriedly towards her friends as she watched Caroline throw her arms up into the air.

Caroline was never an easy person to anger especially when she was having fun or when she around her friends. This time however, everyone had come to the conclusion that he was the one who had caused Caroline to act this way. To them it only made sense that when she disapeared she had went to talk to him and they got into an argument that put her in a foul mood.