Chapter 1. Formal?

This chapter is basically going to be an introduction to both the story and the characters as there will be a lot of them. If I didn't make this chapter there would be a lot of confusion about who every character was later on. This story is based on real life people but sadly the events in this story are all fake and probably will never happen.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It was strange. Not just the amount of people willing to participate, but the fact that RMSS, the school known for never hosting dances, was hosting an open dance. RMSS has only ever hosted a dance once, and it was for their own school so it was a great surprise to everyone at the school when student council announced over the speakers that they would be hosting a formal on Febuary 14th, more specificatly Valentine's Day.

"I'm definitely going!" Kathleen grinned, she was excited for the dance as last formal she wasn't able to attend due to a basketball game she had with her two friends Kennedy and Senja.

Kennedy and Senja nodded their heads in agreement already mumbling plans to each other about where they would get their dresses and how excited about the dance they were. Kathleen joined into their conversation shortly after, stating she was going to use the dress she had planned to wear to the last formal. Kennedy, Senja, and Kathleen were easily the most excited for the dance but that didn't mean the others weren't, whether or not they showed it, every girl was excited for the dance.

"Why are you guys so excited? It's not like you're going to get asked." Caroline stated with a bitter frown and a faraway look in her eyes.

In reality Caroline was very excited for the dance but the disappointment of last years dance still affected her. She had her eye on a certain boy and had hoped he would have asked her to the formal or at least danced with her there but she was filled with dispointment when the night came and he didn't even so much as spare her a glance.

"Are you still down about last time? Forget about him! Let's all just go together as friends this time." Brianna piped in, daring a glance over at the boy in question who was staring directly at Caroline with an odd gleam in his eyes.

Brianna narrowed her eyes at him before returning her gaze to the rest of her friends who had all seemed to agree as they had split off into small conversations of their own. Brianna tried joining in but stopped as her brain was clouded over with thoughts about what he might have wanted with Caroline and why he was looking at her like that.

Brianna was brought out of her thoughts by Emma's voice. She was teasing Hailey about how Ricky and Cooper, two of the boys at the school who liked her, might ask her again this year. Hailey was denying it and threatened to serve her like a volleyball, something she had started saying after she heard Caroline threaten the other team with the same thing during a volleyball match.

"Hailey! You really are becoming a mini-me!" Caroline wiped a fake year away dramatically before grinning evilly and wrapping her arm around Hailey's shoulders.

"Stop corrupting her!" Her older cousin, Sarah batted away Caroline's arm before grabbing her cousin and pulling her away from the group of people she now deemed sinners, another thing people had picked up from Caroline.

"Fine... I'm gonna go get a cookie." Caroline sighed dramatically before walking away to get her cookie.

"Wait! I wanna come too!" Mya called out struggling to push her way out of the crowded table.

Caroline stopped and watched as Mya failed to get away from the table. She heard loud laughter to the right of her and glanced over only to freeze as she noticed she was right beside the guys table. Jeffrey, one of the guys, looked over at her questioningly and opened his mouth to speak but Caroline had already turned away and was walking over to help Mya.

Once Caroline and Mya returned from buying their precious cookies, Kennedy asked,"Hey, are you gals excited for formal? I can't wait! The dresses, the romance, the food...everything is just going to be amazing! I mean I won't get asked but whatever."

Kathleen, Caroline, Senja, Brianna, Hailey, and Mya all knew how much formal meant to her. After all she didn't get to attend the Christmas one, but they were all slightly nervous that the dance might not what she expected and that if no one asked her she might feel left out. Little did they know, someone sitting in that very cafeteria was willing to ask each and every one of the girls to the formal.

There was five minutes left of snack when an uninvited guest walked over to the girls' usual lunch table, in the direction of Kathleen. It was Isaac. This shocked everyone considering he was the jerk who broke her heart earlier in the year. He wasn't an all around bad guy. As a matter of fact, Kennedy and Isaac were childhood friends. It was just shocking, because he was the one who broke things off with Kathleen.

"Hey Kat... Uhh... Umm... I-I was wondering if maybe you-you'd like to.. Umm go to formal with me?" Kennedy heard all of Isaac's deepest thoughts but never had Kathleen come up since the break-up. Of all the girls, Kennedy was probably the most shocked.

Kathleen never really stopped liking Isaac, but now that this actually happened she was more confused than ever. She didn't know whether to say yes because she still had feelings for him or say no because he broke her heart and left it in a million pieces.

"Ummm... I really don't know what to say..." Kathleen said to Isaac.

"Look, I am a huge idiot for ever hurting you the way I did. It was the stupidest thing I've ever done in my entire life. I still love you! I get it if you'd rather go with someone who actually deserves someone as amazing as you." he said with a look of guilt on his face.

Kathleen was speechless. Kennedy's lips began to tremble, she just couldn't take this anymore! Kathleen looked over at her best friends with a look of pure embarrassment, and started blushing.

"What should I do?" Kathleen whispered to Senja who was sitting beside her.

"Just follow your heart and hope it's right." Senja replied.

Kathleen turned back to Isaac with a look of dread on her face. She didn't want to respond but knew she had to. Even though it was a difficult thing to do she felt it was the right thing to do. For a second she questioned her response, but soon replied.

She said, " Why not!"

Isaac truly couldn't believe it, he had expected her to say no and never speak to him again. To the girls' surprise, Kathleen smiled so brightly! She even got up, and they shared a short yet meaningful hug.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Snack was finally over! The group always dreaded snack. Although all they got to do was eat and socialize (which were by far two of their favourite things), it felt like forever. Not once in their lifetime had twenty minutes felt like twenty years.

Everyone began saying goodbye to their friends and heading to their respected classrooms. All the girls, with the exception of Emma and her friends, had French class with one of their favourite teachers, Mr. Simard. They had been working hard on a travel project. Caroline finished early and decided it would be entertaining to bug Hailey.

"Pssss....Hailey look it's Cooper!", Caroline whisper-yelled in her ear.

Hailey immediately turned around to Caroline and flashed her a dirty look. In the past, Hailey and Cooper have had an on and off relationship. It was quite odd, because Cooper still had feelings for little Hailey. The awkward part was Hailey had fallen head over heels for Ricky. Whether or not she wanted this for herself, there was no denying it. Last formal he'd asked her to dance, but she rejected him. Ever since then, Hailey couldn't stop thinking about him.