Chapter Fourteen

"It's hard to fight the things we're afraid of. Sometimes we just need a little help"
-One Tree Hill

Penn

I heard her yawn into my shirt. I knew she had to be tired, she had been moving like the dead the entire time I've been with her and the skin under her eyes was dark.

"Go to sleep sweetheart, I'll be here." Alice cuddled further into my neck while I held her. I couldn't begin to describe the incredible warmth that spread through me when she did so. "You have no idea how much you mean to me."

It was astounding how protective of her I've already become. She told me her darkest secret. She trusted me that much already.

An involuntary growl left my throat and I held my mate tighter to me. She stirred when she felt the vibrations in my chest but stayed asleep.

I however, was wide awake, and full of fury. I wanted to kill the man who took her innocence, and without her consent at that. The thought made me livid, my wolf was no exception. He wanted the blood of the man who hurt his mate.

No matter how much I wanted to track down the culprit at this very second, I had other priorities. My Alice was still asleep in my arms, and that was not something I was willing to give up. I would not abandon her. Not now, not ever.

I laid back on the couch, pulling Alice with me so she lay on top of me. I took a minute to relish in the feeling of her pressed against me. Coming back down to earth, I pulled the blanket down from the back of the couch and covered the both of us. I inhaled her scent and soon fell to sleep, my mate safely in my arms.

I don't think I've ever slept better.

~~~

Alice

I woke up unnaturally warm, slowly drifting into consciousness to what sounded like a familiar chainsaw being started up. But even as loud and annoying as this chainsaw was, I was too tired to pay it any attention. I snuggled closer into the warm couch underneath me, the room felt too cold for my liking. Only when the couch started rumbling underneath me did I pry my eyes open.

All I saw was gray. The rumbling happened again, accompanied by that chainsaw sound. Letting my gaze drift up I saw a thick, muscular neck, leading to a sharp jaw, pink lips, a crooked nose, closed eyes, and furrowed eyebrows. Penn.

I tumbled off the couch with a shriek, startled at seeing Penn there, underneath me, asleep, holding me. It seems that I'm making a habit of falling off of furniture when he's around.

Memories of last night came rushing back to me and my face felt hot. Oh boy, this would be hard to explain to my mom, if she was home that is.

I looked around from my spot on the floor. The tv was still on, the DVD menu on screen. Penn, seemingly unfazed by my small episode, was still sleeping on my couch. His body was too long and his feet rested on the arm of the couch, one of his arms hung off the side, looking a bit like he was reaching for me.

Looking at him I realized that the chainsaw sound was actually coming from his slightly open mouth. Good god this man snores like a tractor with engine problems. Personally, I'm amazed that I managed to sleep when the Armageddon soundtrack was blasting an inch from my face.

Taking my attention away from Penn's snores, I stumbled to my feet, heading for the kitchen. First order of business: breakfast.

I was just sliding the second omelette onto a plate when heavy footsteps shuffled into the kitchen.
"Morning," the warm breath on my ear made me jump.
"Oh, hi. I made breakfast, I hope you don't have any aversion to eggs?" I mumbled my greeting, still trying to get my heart to calm down.

"I love eggs," the lazy smile Penn threw my way nearly made me melt. I set one of the omelettes down in front of him where he sat on a barstool. Sitting down next to him, I had no idea what to say. Or if I should even say anything.

He knew my secret. Something I had never told anyone before, with the exception of my parents. And that didn't exactly turn out stellar.

For a while we sat and ate in silence, no sound in the room but the forks clinking against our plates. "Alice," he spoke, starling me out of my thoughts. "Can I be honest with you?"

I looked at him for a moment, trying to decipher his emotions. But the man was a closed book, his face gave away nothing, unlike me. I had always been told that my every emotion was painted on my face, no matter how hard I tried to hide them.

"Of course you can, what is it?" I was nervous, I know what it's about. It's about my past. He's going to say I disgust him, that he doesn't want to see me anymore, that I'm not worth the time or effort.

"Thank you for trusting me the way you did last night. I know that can't have been easy for you. And I want you to know that I do not look at you any differently because of what happened to you in your past. I think you are incredibly strong and brave. And nothing will ever change the way I see you." I was stunned. I sat and stared at him, open-mouthed. No one has ever said anything like that to me before.

I didn't want to cry, but I couldn't help the pressure building behind my eyes. Without thinking I launched myself at him, hugging him tightly around his torso. "Thank you Penn." What did I do to deserve this wonderful man in my life.

He let out a massive sigh and simply pulled me tighter to his chest. "I will always be here for you Alice. As long as you'll have me." I didn't know what to say. I wanted to tell him that I'd always want him here. That I never felt better than when I was in his arms.

But I couldn't. Despite the fact that I felt drawn to him, I have really only known Penn for a couple of days. And I don't know him that well, even if he made me feel more safe than I had in years. No friendship moves this quickly, at least it shouldn't. I just couldn't tell him that I wanted him to stay, at least not yet, so I settled for repeating my earlier thanks and hugging him tighter.

We remained in the embrace until Penn suddenly froze, letting out a stream of muttered curses. "I'm such an ass. God, Alice. I'm sorry. I'm so sorry," he kept murmuring apologies in my ear. And I didn't even know what he was apologizing for.

"Penn, why are you sorry?" I pulled back just enough to look into his deep brown eyes.
"Because of the night we met," he sighed again, looking torn about something. "I handed you that shirt and told you to change in front of me. God, if I had only known. I'm so sorry, sweetheart. I never meant to make you uncomfortable, please know that. Please-" I cut off his rant by placing my hand over his mouth.

"It's alright Penn. You didn't know, I would never blame you for something if you lacked the information to make a better judgement. It's alright, really," I uncovered his mouth. He sat and thought for a moment. "Still, I should not have done that, I don't know what is the matter with me. Forgive me sweetheart, please?"

"Already forgiven." I give him a soft smile and hopped off my stool, taking our empty plates to the sink. I want to ask him something but I hesitate before speaking, my question caught in my throat. "Um, would you, maybe um, want to stay and hang out today? I don't think I want to be alone again."

My back is turned to him, fearing the answer. But then the unexpected happens and his hands are suddenly on my hips, his breath on my ear. "There is nothing I would like more than to spend the day with you Alice."