Chapter Two:

"Sunday morning rain is falling. Steal some covers, share some skin"
-Maroon 5

Alice

Empty.

The fridge, along with all the kitchen cabinets. All empty.
Aside from the lack of food, this house actually wasn't bad. It was nestled into a small meadow about half a mile into the woods. I had explored the land a bit after a very disgruntled cab driver dropped me off. Needless to say he didn't enjoy driving an hour to some house in the middle of nowhere.

Grumpy cab driver aside, the grounds were beautiful. There were wildflowers growing around and beneath the part of the house that was on stilts. The trees were tall and lush, I think I even heard water bubbling over rocks nearby, although I couldn't see any evidence of it.

The inside of the house was a stark contrast to the nature surrounding it. Modern and sleek, stainless steel as far as the eye could see. I liked it though. It was minimalistic, nothing much to hassle over.

The only hassle in my life at the moment was finding something to eat. Which was impossible, as I was quickly coming to realize.

Opening and closing the fridge doors one last time I sighed and headed for the empty living room where I had left my suitcase. I grabbed it by the handle and lugged it up the stairs, only to come face to face with a wide hallway.

Four doors. The one at the left end of the hall with a small sticky note on the door that read "mom." The door opposite it had a sticky note with the word "Alice" written on it in a small, neat scrawl.

I headed towards it; I don't think there were any other girls named Alice living in this house anyway.

Wow.
That's the only word that came to mind when stepping into this room.

It was a moderate size. A queen size bed already set up and facing the wall of windows. Floor to ceiling glass stood where the wall should be, showing off an incredible view. Mountains disappearing beneath a layer of fog somewhere in the distance. Trees and fog partly masking the waterfall that I could now see from my second-story vantage point.
It was sort of... perfect.

I turned back to my new bedroom and flopped face-first onto my bed. After letting out some muffled groans I sat up and pulled the black combat boots off my feet. They were followed quickly by my jeans and sweatshirt, leaving me in nothing but a set of lingerie that my mother insisted on purchasing for me. I knew that there was an inordinate number of other sets in one of my suitcases which would be arriving by the end of the week. Which could be a couple of days, seeing as it's only Wednesday night.

I knew I didn't have to worry about getting up early for school tomorrow since my mother had signed me up to start at the local high school on Monday. I had a few days to settle in.

With that happy thought in mind, I pulled back the covers and clambered into bed, not caring that the sun was barely starting to set.

Written In The Starsजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें