Chapter Ten

"I think I need to go home and reevaluate how I make life decisions"
-How I Met Your Mother

Penn

Consciousness found me when I felt a tiny breeze graze my chest. It felt nice.

I can already see the sunlight seeping through my eyelids, and I know that I slept far longer than I normally do. I peel my eyes open, unwilling to get out of this extraordinarily comfortable bed.

When my eyes come into focus the first thing I see is blue.
Blue hair is spread across the pillows and the ends tickle my bare chest. Light breaths brush over my skin. Alice.

I shut my eyes and breathe in her scent. Mint and cherry blossoms; perfect. I took this moment to revel in the feeling of her. She fit perfectly against me, her arm draped lightly over my stomach, our legs tangled, and her face buried in my chest. God, I loved this.

Now that I know what it's like to hold her this close I may never be able to let her go.

But I didn't know how long this would last. Eventually, she would wake up. I tightened my arms around her, pulling her just a bit closer, and falling back to sleep with my mate in my arms.

I could get used to this.

~~~

Alice

I woke up comfortable and insanely warm. It felt nice. I can feel the heat radiate off whatever is next to me. I wiggle just a bit closer to it, enjoying this blissful moment. It sounded like there was a chainsaw in the room but I ignored it. I didn't anticipate the low groan that escaped my heat source.

My eyes shot open, being met with the sight of a manly chest. A series of pale white scars zigzagged over the otherwise smooth flesh.

An incredibly unflattering squeal rang through the silent room as I scrambled out of his reach, effectively falling off the bed.
"Ouch," I mumble, laying on floor for a second before shooting up and peeking over to the bed.

He laid on his side, dark hair a mess, looking absolutely god-like.
Penn.

Last nights events came rushing back to me and I couldn't stop the blush that consumed my face.
I had asked him to stay with me after my nightmare. I hadn't expected to wake up holding him. I don't know what had possessed me to do it. My nightmares always left me cold and alone. And just for once I didn't want to wake up that way.

I realized now how wrong that was. I barely knew the man. Actually, I didn't know him at all. And that's why I had to leave.

I stand up as quietly as possible. The jeans I had shed last night were still on the floor so I pulled them up my legs. My heart was pounding as I crept over to the door and snuck a glance at Penn, still laying on the bed.

His lips were a bit parted, loud snores escaping his mouth. I'm surprised his snoring hadn't woken me up. An arm was stretched over the spot where I had slept, as if searching for something. He grumbled and moved to a more comfortable position, grabbing a pillow and pressing it to his chest. I couldn't help but think how cute he looked right then.

No. No- I can't think things like that. I don't know his man. No. I can't trust him. I can't stay here. I rip my eyes away from his sleeping form and tiptoe out of the bedroom. I hold my breath. Not daring to inhale until I am out of his house, afraid that if I breathe it will wake him.

Cold air hits me the second I step out of his house and I breathe in deep. There were a few people on the street. Couples walking. Parents playing with their kids.
I felt as if I landed in a 50s show. All that's missing is the pearl necklaces.

There weren't too many people around, I could walk right out. And that's exactly what I did.

I set a brisk pace, determined to get out of this neighborhood as quickly as possible. People on the sidewalks gave me strange looks as they ambled past. A few times it looked like they lifted their noses to the air and inhaled before scrutinizing me. It was unsettling.

Finally, after what felt like the longest walk of shame in history I had made it out of the neighborhood and into town. As soon as the school was in my sight I took off running. I sprinted two miles, clear through town and up the gravel road of my driveway.
I collapsed against my front door, panting heavily. Jeez, I'm really out of shape.

I stumble inside, mentally scolding myself for not locking the door while I trudge up the stairs.
I needed a shower and a nap.

Stripping out of Penn's oversized t-shirt and standing in the shower, I let the scalding water wash away the sweat and the confusion I was feeling. I waited until my toes were raw and red and my fingers began to prune, only then did I get out.

I collapsed on my bed, wearing nothing but an oversized flannel shirt, letting a dreamless sleep find me.

~~~

Penn

When I woke for the second time the sun was high and I could hear voices outside. I reached out to pull Alice closer to me, only to come up short.

My eyes shot open, panic consuming me.

The bed next to me was cold and empty. Alice was gone. I tore the covers off my legs, sprinting through the room.

A stale trail of her scent led me down the stairs and to the front door. I ripped the door open, pleading with the heavens that she didn't get too far. I ran down the sidewalk, desperately looking around for my mate. Her scent led out of the neighborhood; she was gone.

I dropped to my knees, not caring that my pack was seeing their alpha at his weakest. My wolf shot forward in that moment, letting out an ear-slitting, pain filled howl.

He was angry. Not at his mate. Never at his mate. He was angry with me. Frustrated that I had let her get away. He fought me for control, sharp claws ripped through the skin under my fingernails. Fur began to sprout from my arms. I could feel my bones shift into a new position. My wolf was taking over.

He had made it his mission to find our mate and never let her go again. But I couldn't let him do that. My little human mate did not know the beast I was. If he came to claim her she would be frightened. She would run away from me. And I refused to let that happen.

With every ounce of strength I had, I suppressed my wolf, pushing him back into my mind. I couldn't let him scare my Alice.

He snarled at me for that thought. She was his mate just as much as she was mine. And that scared me. My wolf was powerful, dangerous. I didn't know what he would do to her.

He continued to growl and claw at my mind, howling to be let out. And I continued to pushed him back.

My inner struggle did not go unnoticed. Members of my pack gathered around me, some of the warriors kept people at a safe distance. I was grateful; I didn't want to harm my pack in a haze of pain and rage.

A hand was laid on my shoulder and while I wanted to snarl and throw it off, I didn't.
"Alpha, let's get you home." My beta helped me to my feet and threw my arm over his shoulder, leading me to my house.

I sunk down to sit on my bed, shrouded in rejection.

"She left me, Ellis. She left and I don't know why. It's only been twelve hours and I've already screwed it up. How did I screw it up?" I let my head fall into my hands, still sitting on the edge of my bed.

"Who?" My beta, Ellis, questioned.
I lifted my head and stared him in the eye for a good two minutes before speaking. "My mate."