Chapter 52

---Elena's POV---

I stayed up till 11pm to wait for Damon and Stefan to returned. I sat on the couch watching the news. For this two days, I'm actually suspicious of their whereabouts still. Did they have another girlfriend? Did they cheated on Caroline and I? Are they in trouble? So many possible scenarios are being played inside my mind. What actually scares me the most is that both of them are hurt.

After some time, I heard keys were jingled into the door. It must be both of them. I turned off the tv and instead, grabbed a magazine on the table.

"Hi, Elena." Stefan said.

"Hey, Elena." Damon said, walking towards me and gave me a peck on the forehead.

"Hi. Stefan, Caroline is already asleep in your bedroom. She asked me to wake her up once you guys come back home." I told him.

"It's okay. I'll let her sleep in." Stefan said and went up to his room. The living room is filled with silence. I don't know if it's me or I think that Damon has something to tell me but his holding back whatever it is. Being myself, I asked him.

"Damon?" I said.

"Hmm?" He turned his attention to me.

"Why did you guys came back so late?" I asked.

He looked at me awhile and gave out a sigh. "Stefan and I, we....we met with someone that we thought we wouldn't see again in our life." He said.

I kept silent for some time, no idea if I should asked who it was. Scratch that. I'm going to ask him. "Is it your mom?" I whispered. He looked at me intensely and sat on the couch beside me.

"Yeah." He replied back in a whisper.

"How did it go?" I asked, facing my whole body towards him.

"It went pretty bad. She has no right to come and see us after all this years Stefan and I had thought that she was dead. We were wrong. She was alive the whole time." Damon said, slightly raising his voice.

"Did she tell you how is James the Heretic and you guys are not?" I asked.

"Yup. She apparently had a son, which is James, before she met my father. She told me all this stories how she met this guy she was with, how James was born and covered up the story." He sighed, closing his eyes for a moment.

"Damon, it's fine if you don't wanna tell me. I'm okay with it." I told him, stroking his arms.

"No...no....I want to tell you. I don't want to keep this in my chest. I can't bare with the pain." He said, tears welling up in his eyes. "All this time Stefan and I thought that James is our biological brother but he's not. He's basically our adoptive brother. Elder actually. My mother, Lily, is a witch and the guy that she slept with is a vampire so that makes a Heretic baby." He said and took a deep breath. "She made up a dumb story to make sure that nobody, including my father, know that James was not his. She used her powers and cast a spell on James so that he looks the same age as me. The thing I was pissed off the most is that she placed James in a foster care. Right after he was born. Abandoning he's son just like what she did to Stefan and I." He finished. It hurts me so bad to see Damon hurting like this.

"Damon....I'm so sorry about all this." I said.

"You don't have to because I'm not sorry at all." He said. "Come on. Let's get upstairs, I'm sure it's around midnight now." He said and get off the couch. He pulled me up the couch and we went up.