Chapter Thirty-Seven: East: Training

Anya~ East (Russia)                        

I entered the room wearing a cut off tank and loose cotton pants. I carried the book with me just in case I was going to need it. The room had weapons in glass cases, lights illuminating the black ceiling, punching bags, a small stage surrounded with wire, weights, some obstacle courses, and other random things.

I approached Adric who was standing, back towards me, with his hands draped on his sides. "Late am I?" I wondered. I was fairly sure I'd left in time.

He turned, shaking a pained expression off his face. "Yeah," he laughed. "Don't fuss over it though. Let's just get started, alright?" he took in a deep breath, "Set down your book. I do hope you read some of it. I'm going to make a written test over it," He said sarcastically. "To warm you up, you're going to begin with weights. Just ten reps. Then, we'll get you to start a running drill. After that we'll venture on to the actual skills," he paused picking up two weights, "They're just fifteens. They shouldn't be too bad on you."

I took them from him and did the lifts ten times as he asked, my arms went limp after I set them down. I hadn't been accustomed to using my arms for strength. I let out a heaving sigh and started on the running drill. Basically I had to run back and forth between two walls as quickly as I could, whipping around so fast that my head started to feel dizzy. I moved my arms along with my rushing legs, and having my fists gripped on their fingers. I blew a breath from my lungs at a tress of hair that had fallen to my lashes. I skidded to a halt as Adric said to do.

He lead me over to a mannequin of a woman. A grin stealing my face in anticipation. This was where the real excitement started. I looked up at him expectantly.

"We're going to work on your kicks first. Do as I say. Slowly take a step forward with your left foot, then bring your right knee up to your chest- very good. Now, turn on your foot forty-five degrees to the left so your shoulder is aligned with the practice statue. Good. Now thrust your right foot out at it, try and hit it in between the rib cage. It's built into the ground, so no need to worry about kicking it over," Adric instructed.

I put my power into my leg and kicked it out. My foot hit the target, but stung from the impact. I looked back get an opinion.

"Very good, since it is made out of hard material you may want to kick a little softer next time. Do that twice, but then turn, and give your left hand a punch to its shoulder," Adric mused.

"That all?" I asked, crossing my arms.

"Does the Queen require more?" He mocked.

I rolled my eyes speaking as I focused on attacking the statue, "It does seem a bit simple. I assumed I'd be fighting off hordes of soldiers, climbing up a mile long rock wall without harness, doing something a bit more exhausting," I snorted, "Or memorizing that dull book."

Adric shrugged. "We could do that also. Very nice- your punch that is. I was intending to go onto the punching bags for a better focus on the strength, but I do believe you had a better idea," he said, "Memorizing that dull book. You couldn't have read it all yet. It is more important than you may think." He motioned for me to follow with the flick of his hand.

I let out a quiet whimper and harshly muttered, "I wasn't serious you know."

He gave me an exhausted smile. "Yes. I know," he said, picking up and then handing me the book, "Read it aloud. Start on page seventy-eight. That's a good bit there."

To me it sounded as if he had it all memorized as well. I swallowed a retort, dragging my finger over the raised title "Bringing Power" by Mettenson Gregory, and opened to the page. I animated my voice to the vibe of the book as I read, "The stars can sing; you just need to listen. Water will dance; you just need to watch. People give off expressions; you just need to feel. So forth in your fighting, pay attention to everything. Now, those statements weren't exactly true, but if you pretend they are, it will stretch out your senses. Therefore making you more aware. A better warrior.