Chapter Twenty: West: The File Retrieval

Eloise~ West (England)

It was late. My eyes burned with exhaustion, and my limbs were trying to keep up with my wide-awake mind. I struggled to slip my shoes on, while scanning my hand on the metal slap that would slide my door open to reveal the rest of the base. I slept too long. I needed to wake up at 1:34, instead, I awoke at 1:37. I rushed toward the hovercraft that was being provided its final needs before the travel to Russia. Goosebumps sprinkled my arms; a side effect of the brisk air. I pulled my hair back, and hastily braided it around my head. Hair can wait. The door to the hovercraft was starting to slide closed, and right before it collided with the hinges that would seal the door airtight, I managed to roll through the sliver the door had not protruded yet. I made it. I heaved a sigh of relief. I was on my way to Russia to retrieve my file. I stood calmly. Knowing that hovercrafts move 150 miles per hour, I just had to keep my head low for a couple hours or so. I ducked behind some crates full of food and weapons, and I rested my head on my arm, and did what most everybody would do at 1:40 a.m. Sleep.

                                                                                 ~

“Uh, you shouldn’t be here, Inaugurate.” A young soldier looked at me with wide eyes. He looked my age. He had curly blonde hair, and a lanky body. How he got through Inauguration defeats me. I stood with an air of importance; trying to ignore the messy hair, and tired eyes.

“Of course I should be, soldier. Go back to your post.” He looked at me with a furrowed brow.

“Where is your badge?” He said pointing at the badge that authenticated his identity.

“Don’t let her make you think she is a part of this mission, private.” Grayson’s stern eyes looked at me with a look of anger.

“Report to your post.” The soldier boy dipped his head sharply, “Sir,” He glanced at me one last time.

“WHAT THE HECK ARE YOU DOING HERE?!” Grayson’s face was written with fury that was beyond anything I have seen before. He cussed. “Eloise Grace Tyler,” His voice broke under his anger, “Why won’t you listen to me for once?”

“Grayson, this involves me. If I die, it is my fault.” Grayson’s face gave me an alien expression. It was a look of sorrow, pity, anger, and compassion all at once.

“If you die, Eloise Tyler, it would be on me.” He grunted. “You will listen to me from now on. Do everything I say, DO YOU UNDERSTAND, SOLDIER?” I straightened, and I dragged two fingers from my left shoulder to my right. The Western salute. He ruffled his hair, and beckoned me to follow him.

“Dad, we have a rebel,” Mr. Lewis turned around. He was in his army uniform.

“Ah, Eloise, I hope you enjoyed your nap.” I smiled. Mr. Lewis knew all along, and he let me come.

“It was quite nice. Though, Grayson rudely woke me up from it, but it is okay I will forgive him eventually.”

“Oh, yes, Grayson, I forgot to tell you Ms. Tyler would be attending our raid.” Grayson rolled his eyes. I smiled, and plopped down beside Mr. Lewis, who was driving the hovercraft.

“What is the plan?”

“We straight-up crash into their base.”

“Nice,”

“Yep. After that we will send you and a couple other soldiers to receive your file,”

“And the rest of the soldiers?”

“They are looking for someone.”  I tilted my head.

“What is their name?” Suddenly his eyes looked saddened.