Chapter Twenty-Seven: East: Enhancement

Anya~ East (Russia)                         

Adric walked out in front of my group. "Morning. Later today is the ceremony where we will kick out six of you nineteen, and the rest will make it onto the Agglutination part of  Refinement. Well, with Sabreena leaving previously we will only have to cut five of you. Anyways. This morning you will go through a side section of Refinement where your appearance will be refined. Teaching you a form of humility.  Don't argue with your stylist. Just do what they say and things will go easier for you. Follow in order through the room and behave. You don't need to be thrown out just yet. I must go ahead and say how pleased I am with your progress. It has been exceptionally good. Well, better than I expected from you. Well done. Your service to your country has not gone unnoticed. Come on," Alec said.

I stood up from my seat and started walking behind Idene with Sam following behind me. "This doesn't sound too good."

Sam smiled at me hopefully. "Maybe it won't be too bad..."

Mathen leaned around Sam with a huge smile. "Come on, Anya. Learn some humility!" he joked.

I stuck my tongue out at him. "Don't judge me. I'm just a bit concerned... nothing that has happened here has been better than I expected," I said.

He bit down on his lip. "Not even the food?"

"Well. Other than that," I said sarcastically. 

I turned back around just in time to keep from running into Ilene. The line had stopped moving as fast and we were being paired with our stylist. Every minute I'd be a step closer to being paired and then on to whatever they had planned for us. I kept thinking to myself that at least I wasn't the first person. Many had gone before me in previous years, and a few before me today. Poor Lauren ended up second in line somehow. Jace managing to make it to the last spot.

A guy named Grant went. Then Idene. Now it was my turn. I felt awkward being in the front for the moment. My nerves were exploding.

Adric stood to my right and surveyed me for a few seconds making me feel self-conscious. He scribbled something down quickly on his clipboard and then turned towards me. "You'll be with Cassiomeda," he said. He pointed to over to a group of women and men in white suits. "The one with red hair. Up in the front. Now move along so I can get the rest of these students sorted."

I walked forward very conscious that I was being stared at. I looked for the woman and found her. I approached her and tried to smile. "Hello... my name is Anya."

She half smiled. "Nice meeting you kid. Call me Cassi. Follow me into our part of sectional." She gestured me to come with her white, boney, hand.

I took in my surrounding as I followed her. Bright white lights littered the ceiling and floor. Everything was white. The room smelled toxically. 

She stopped and pulled back a divider. "Go on inside."

I did as she said and she shut it behind me. Inside there was a long metal sheet, and on top of it some folded fabric. The lights reflected off of it and around the area. The space was quite large. There was a stand with unknown things on it, and there was a small shower, below it some small holes which made a drain. On the other side of the wall was a door. My eyes observed everything. I didn't want to miss something.

Cassi put clear glove's on her hands and then turned towards me. "Go take a shower. Count to ten then get out," she said. Then she picked up the material from the metal bed and handed it to me. "Put this on once you are out. Make sure to only dry lightly."

"Alright," I muttered.

I walked up to the shower, set down the clothing, and pulled the divisor shut. I quickly changed out of my clothes and pushed them under the curtain. Chills went up my arms.