Chapter Thirty-One: East: Assignments

Anya~ East (Russia)                        

I walked back to my room slowly. I made it through, but Mathen didn't. How was that possible? He was the smartest of everyone here.

My feet followed each other until I had made it into my room, and then I collapsed on the bed. I rolled onto my side and pulled up my knees, wrapping my arms around myself. My eyes searched the room for something. I wasn't sure what if I'd find anything, but I just needed something. That was when I came to the realization. The book, in Jace's room, maybe he'd let me keep it. I wanted the comfort of knowing my brother had been here. I started for his room, pulling my hand across the wall as I went.

I knocked on the wall beside the door. "It's Anya, Jace." I leaned against the wall as I waited for the door to open.

Once it did I walked inside and then sat on the edge of his bed. "I-I'm sorry it's such a terrible time, but, could I borrow that book I was reading the time when I came to study... it had my brother- I mean, he wrote in it." I clasped my hands on my head.

"Sorry. I can't. I thought I was better, but, well, you know, my head," I said blushing. I felt so weak, but the pain was too much.

Jace looked concerned. "Don't be. It's not your fault. Can I get you something?"

"No," I winced. "I'll be fine. I should go. Sorry again. Mathen, well, you know..." I stood up to leave, but Jace took my hand and pulled me back onto the bed.

"No, stay. Take a few minutes. I've got a question anyways. Don't worry about me, concerning Mathen, that is. Yes, we were good friends. I'm alright though," he paused. "Life is cruel and at one point or another you've just got to live with what comes." His expression merged into a smirk. "Well, my question for you.  I was curious as to pancakes or waffles?"

"Is this some kind of code?"

Jace laughed. "No, Anya. It's not a coded message. It's a normal question. Pancakes or waffles, as in, which do you like more?"

"Oh, thank goodness. Umm... waffles. Why?" I crossed my arms.

"Just to resolve a debate. Between Eryn and I. We weren't sure which, so that's why I asked," he explained.

I smiled. "Firs, why were you debating my preferences of breakfast foods, and second, who got it right?"

Jace shrugged. "I think it might have been because this morning Mathen said he didn't like either of them. So we said he was crazy and told him that nobody else in the world sides with him. Then he said you might. It was a weak defense, but we let him go. I felt bad for the guy. Waffles are best. Anyone who doesn't realize that is ignoring the important things in life. I got it right anyways. No surprise there. I always get things right," he declared.

I rubbed my arms with my hands. "Well Genius, let's go get our assignments."

I slid off the bed and walked out into the hall, waiting a second for Jace who was pushing his feet back into his shoes. The silence thrived tonight. No relieved laughter that we had made it through. There wasn't even sounds of crying. Everyone was just silent.

Jace's door shut behind him. "If you want. We can steal some shoes along the way. Yours look totally painful."

I raised an eyebrow. "Advising me to steal Jace Metran? What a great influence you are. Sure. They're not that uncomfortable though..." I drawled.

I slipped my feet out of them and left them in the hallway, going barefoot. Then Jace put a hand on my back and pushed me forward, to walk along with him. He looked at me and then reached his hand into his pocket. He flashed a small, thin, device in front of me and then put it back. "It's a cell phone," he said.