Chapter Eighteen: West: The Face Of Hesitation

Eloise~ West (England)

"GOOD MORNIN'!" Lex's voice echoed through the cavernous cafeteria. I looked over my shoulders with a stern gaze, but Lex could read my face better than most. He saw the smile I was trying very hard to avoid. I turned my head to not give him the pleasure of seeing the grin that was now across my cheeks. He glided through the crowds of grey soldiers, who were staring at him accusingly for interrupting their breakfast.

“Isn’t life nice? She always seems to give us the oxygen that we definitely don’t deserve. Though we are flawed and terrible, she never gives up on us.” I raised and eyebrow.

“Except for when, you know, we die.” Lex wrapped his carved arm around my shoulders.

“But that is not Life. That is death. He cruelly takes us away from her.”

“Understandable, though wrong. Death is the absence of life. Therefore, Life has to leave us in order for Death to take us.” Lex furrowed his brow.

“Spoil-sport.” He grunted. We received our trays from the ladies behind the ladles and proceeded to the table the Inaugurates were assigned. I sat down next to Jenny, and across from Arielle. Lex and Arielle were sitting significantly closer to each other than usual. Jenny and I tried not to make it apparent that we had noticed it.

“Can you believe we are almost done with Inauguration?” Arielle gasped, “I definitely did not think I would make it this far. I thought I would commit suicide before I got even close to the ceremony.” Lex sat straight up, and looked very concerned.

“SUICIDE!? What the heck, Arielle? Why would you ever consider that?” Jenny and I leaned back in our chairs. This was going to happen sooner or later.

“Because I have absolutely no desire to kill for the pleasure of the government. East or no East. We are all humans.” Lex looked saddened.

“Promise me you won’t EVER think about that again.”

“Why would you care?” There it was. The question that girls ask just so they can have the pleasure of hearing it from the admirer’s mouth. Obviously Arielle knew the answer. Lex loved her. But hearing it from his mouth; that is totally different.

“Because if you died, I would have to follow you, and I have Jenny to take care of.” Grayson stood by the exit of the cafeteria, looking grim. He had his soldier face plastered on.

“ELOISE TYLER, PLEASE REPORT TO ME IMMEDIATELY.” I did so obediently with the same grim expression Grayson wore. Cold, and formal. I tried to ignore the stares, but my peripheral vision betrayed me.

“What do you want?” I refrained from the whine that I wanted to ensue. “It is time for the Compassion section of Inauguration.”
“And I am first, why?”
“You were the first one who caught my eye.”

“How convenient is that?” “Excuse me?”

“Oh, nothing. Take me to the test.” He looked aggravated, but he continued. I recognized the route. It was the same hallway he had led me down to the Mental Capabilities section of Inauguration. He sat me in the same cold metal chair. I was nervous to the point of shaking. I hoped he would not put me through what he did before. As he strapped me in, he talked in monotone, “Compassion is a test of the lengths you are willing to go for a fallen soldier. East is trained to have absolutely no compassion, but here at West-” I broke his monotone speech.

“Wait. How do you know that?” Grayson snapped his mouth shut.

“It is public information,” He cleared his throat. A lie. “ Anyway, West likes a balance. If it is life threatening to where you have to absolutely move on- by all means. But if it is possible, we would like for you to try your absolute hardest to get that soldier to safety. Now, this is not your first go-round. So, I expect you to know how to get through this.” He left the room. I let my eyelids sag with the weight of artificial exhaustion. Whatever I was about to go through, I had to remain conscious of the ultimate goal; get myself through Inauguration.