Chapter 2

Chapter 2

I pulled my knees up to my chest and laid my head on it. After hours on continuous and endless driving without even speaking, I still hadn't wrapped my head around this whole mess and was uncomfortable under the guy who claimed to be Mr. Williams' gaze that he kept making every once in a while through the rearview mirror.

I decided to focus my attention on the outside surroundings and shifted my eyes out the window. We were on what looked like an abandoned road because I hadn't seen any cars pass by us after only thirty minutes of driving and we had been on the road now for at least three hours. We whizzed by an endless amount of evergreen trees. It suddenly hit me. We were in the woods.

I resisted the urge to slap myself upside the head. Durh! How could I have not noticed? I jumped at the sound of the mans voice again after three hours of quiet. "We're almost there." I looked out the window shield past the man and squinted my eyes.

At the far end of the road, I began to see a house come into view. No wait, not a house. A mansion! I felt my eyes widen as we officially arrived at the front gates. As I slowly exited the crimson black car I stared uneasily at the huge mansion.

It looked like it spread out for thousands of acres and acres in length and width. The structure was made up of giant pitch black bricks that were laid out perfectly throughout the building. It was almost as tall as a skyscraper and every inch of the mansion was clean and polished. Along the entrance of the place there was a cobblestone path that led to large double doors.

As I stepped closer to the fairy-tale-like castle, I noticed large tall grey statues of serpents who's eyes bore into mine and would of beat me any day at a staring contest. Some of the cobblestones were an elegant vibrant green that somehow made you feel chills run up your spine. It was more like a mansion for a villain or something.

Once we stopped at the double doors, the handles were stone snake heads that looked like they would reach out and bite you if you even tried to open the them. Without warning, the doors swung open by themselves and let us pass. I almost fainted at the sight of the inside of the building. I was surprised the bottom of my mouth didn't touch the floor since it was hanging so widely open.

The outside of the palace-like mansion was almost ugly compared to the inside. The ceilings were as high as the clouds and were painted a warm gold and the walls were a dark shade of green with extravagant drapes of the same vibrant green I spotted on the cobblestones earlier. The drapes hung beautifully here and there across the room as big as my house.

I guessed it to be the living room because there was a tall blazing fireplace with green and sleek black granite crawling upward all the way to the top of the wall surrounding it. Antique-looking decorations were flawlessly placed in the perfect spots. The hardwood polished floors tapped under me with each step as I walked through the room.

Mr. Williams chuckled which told me he was expecting my reaction and had been waiting for it. We passed dozens of servants in the long corridors who looked like they were multi-tasking and didn't have time to stop and greet me. We paused at a flight of stunning silver stairs that curled upward and downward. Mr. Williams cleared his throat signaling me he was about to say something important.

"You never go upstairs unless you're assigned to work up there. That leads to the hallway where the boy Tom Riddle's room is. You never want to run into him when you don't have to, believe me. I would know."

His voice turned sour but led me down the flight of stairs. Once we were at the bottom steps, we went through a maze of long corridors with rows and rows of doors lining the walls. After a few minutes, we came to a stop in front of one of many doors.