Chapter Twenty Two

~ 🌟 ~ 🌟 ~ 🌟 ~ 🌟 ~ 🌟 ~

Kristina's POV

~ 🌟 ~ 🌟 ~ 🌟 ~ 🌟 ~ 🌟 ~

"I like the way you look in my shirt." I glance up in surprise and then blush hard when I see Kyle staring at me adoringly. I'd never been a blusher before today. Never gotten flustered or embarrassed enough for it to happen but now, every single time he looks at me or compliments me or even talk to me caused heat to rise high in my cheeks.

"Thank you." I mumble, looking back down at the bowl of soup I have before me.

Soon after we'd patched each other up, Kyle had guided me to the kitchen without word and had force me to sit down and wait. He didn't listen to my protests for him to rest and to let me make something for us to snack on but everything I said fell to deaf ears. Eventually, after I got up to help him, my mate snapped his teeth at me in annoyance and I quickly retreated back to my seat, not wanting to get that close to loosing my nose again.

He isn't eating, he's just staring at me, watching me eat and focusing on every little thing I do and every movement I make. Whenever I pause in my movements, he'd reach across the table and touch the tips of his fingers to my elbow and encourage me to take another spoonful.

It's making me really self conscious.

Not because I was eating in front of him but because he was paying such close attention to me. Did I have soup on my face? was I slurping? Did he find slurping gross? Was I being loud? Did I spill some down his shirt? Was I overthinking?

"Aren't you going to eat?" I said slowly, flicking my gaze down to his empty placemat and back up to his beautiful eyes.

"No."

"Why not?" I asked, worry setting in. Male wolves ate a lot, five times as much as the average human but he hadn't even hinted at being hungry. I wasn't a doctor, I didn't know if this was a bad sign or not. Did you lose your appetite after losing a lot of blood?

"Because I'm looking after you." He stated simply, staring hard at my cutlery as if that would magically make me put another spoonful into my mouth. I took another bite, to humour him.

"You're watching me eat." I state. That was hardly looking after me; not that I wanted him to because, right now, I felt as if given the opportunity my mate would wrap me up in a safety blanket and tie me to the bed just so he could watch over me and keep me warm and 'safe'.

"I'm waiting for you to finish." He replied, looking calm despite the tension draw between his brows. "So that I can look after you."

"You don't need to-" He growled at me and I snapped my mouth shut, not wanting to cross him. I ate some more soup, more for something to do rather than because I was hungry. I was, however, stalling for time. I didn't particularly want him to look after me. I was sixteen, not a pup. Unless . . . because of his age he saw me as one?

I opened my mouth to ask but jerk upright in my chair at a passing thought that swept through my mind.

Josh would get a right kick out of this.

I bolted upright, my chair skittering back and cracking against the floor. Kyle was in front of me in seconds, his body slamming mine against the wall, shielding me with his broad stature. I fisted a hand in his shirt as terror punched through me.