Farkle Meets New Year: Part Two

~7~

It was less than half an hour to midnight, and the group was gathered in Farkle's room. Riley and Maya were dancing on Farkle's bed, doing a karaoke duet to 'You're the One That I Want' from Grease. They were acting all goofy; constantly tripping over one another and howling with laughter. Zay, Lucas, Isadora and Farkle were all watching on; laughing with them.

Farkle loved, that despite all the stuff that he had, they were in his room, singing and mucking about. Just like they'd be doing at anyone else's house.

The song ended; Maya bowed dramatically and Riley attempted to curtsy, but tripped over and fell, grabbing Maya on her way down.

Farkle looked fondly at the tangle of laughing limbs, "Roof?" He asked them.

"Oof!" They replied, their voices muffled as they attempted to untangle themselves.

Farkle turned to the others, "Wanna go up to the roof? Has one of the best views of New York,"

"Count us in," Lucas said, standing up.

"This is going to put my roof to shame, isn't it?" Riley said, placing a hand on Farkle's shoulder, having successfully freed herself from Maya and the bed.

Farkle smiled at her, "You'll love it, trust me."

The others followed him out of his room and into the elevator, which took them up to the roof.

"Whoa," Maya said, stepping out first, "this definitely puts your roof to shame, Riles."

"Peaches!" Riley scolded.

"Just look at it, Riley," Maya said, motioning around her.

She did have a point. It was beautiful; the blue velvet sky was stretched out above them, dotted with the few stars they could see and New York stretched out below them, glowing with life.

"Yeah, okay," Riley agreed with a shrug. Farkle laughed.

"Farkle, how tall is your place?" Lucas asked, looking over the edge.

Maya watched him standing there, at the edge, and with a pang was reminded of last year's New Year's Eve.

"You know the Empire State building?" Farkle replied.

"Yeah," Lucas said, sounding concerned.

"Not as tall as that, but pretty tall."

All six walked up to the edge, and stared out at the world.

"Everything looks so small," Riley said.

"Like we're on top of the world." Maya added.

Farkle looked over at the two girls and smiled, "I knew you'd like it."

"Farkle, what's this?" Isadora had wandered off and was standing near something that looked like...

Maya blinked in disbelief, "A campfire?! Seriously, Farkle?"

Maya and Lucas side-glanced at each other, both feeling incredibly awkward. The fact that Riley was standing in between them only made it worse.

"I thought it would be nice, y'know. A campfire, under the stars. To remind us that, after everything, we're all still friends."

Riley smiled and looked down at her feet.

If only he knew how much more complicated it really is.

"Aww, see how can you hate him when he says something adorable like that," Zay said, flinging an arm over Farkle's shoulders.

Riley laughed and Maya rolled her eyes, "You better have s'mores, Farkle."