Farkle Meets Feelings

~2~

~Set roughly a month after the last part~

Farkle was playing a video game when Isadora knocked on his door. He knew it was her because she had this very particular way of knocking three times and then pausing, and then three times again.

"Yeah, Isa?" Farkle called, pausing his video game.

Isadora came into and sat next to him on the couch, and gave him a quick hug, "Hello Farkle."

"Hey, whatchya doing here? I thought we were going out tonight?" Farkle asked.

"Yes, well, that's what I came here to talk to you about." Isadora said.

"You came to talk about tonight?" Farkle asked, clearly confused.

"I came to talk about us." Isadora replied simply.

Farkle was just as confused as he was a moment ago.

"We both knew that like forces repel, before we began this relationship," Isadora said.

"Yes, but we're different," Farkle interrupted.

"Yes," agreed Isadora, "and then we decided to proceed with our relationship, because science allowed us too. We are intellectually matched, yet not the same. A perfect match."

Farkle frowned, what she was saying made sense, but he was already predicting where this conversation was going.

"Yet, science does not dictate feelings." Isadora continued, "I had feelings for you before I knew we were compatible. Science dictates a lot of things, but I don't think it dictates how we feel, and I think you've known that for a while, Farkle."

"What are you trying to say?" Farkle questioned.

"I'm trying to say that you're in love with someone else, despite science saying that we are a match."

"In love with someone? What? I like you, Isadora. I really like you, but I'm only fifteen. I'm not in love with anybody." Farkle replied, stunned.

"You're in love with Riley." Isadora said simply, as if it was the most obvious thing in the world.

"Riley? I'm not in love with Riley. Yes I love her, I've loved her since the first grade, but I'm not in love with her."

"Why on the contrary, you've been in love with her for so long you don't remember what it feels like to not be in love with her."

Farkle didn't reply for a moment, and turned away from Isadora.

Riley?

He was in love with Riley?

He thought of Riley, her laugh, her impossibly happy smile that never failed to make him smile too, how she was always so kind and positive, how she never failed to see the best in people, the looks they exchanged, the way he felt when she hugged him or said his name.

He thought about how if anything bad ever happened to her, it would rip him apart.

Maybe Isadora was right, she wasn't wrong about many things.

Farkle gulped and turned back to Isadora, "Does this mean we're breaking up?"

"Yes it does," Isadora said softly, smiling sadly.

Farkle returned the sad smile and hugged her. Isadora hugged him back in the only wonderfully awkward way the she knew how.

"So our experiment is over?" Farkle said, after they'd finished hugging.

"Yes, and I must say I enjoyed it."

"Me too," Farkle smiled.

Isadora stood up, and brushed her skirt down, before looking up and smiling at Farkle, "Our experiment is concluded. Now we must despise each other for a set amount of months proportional to our time together before we ultimately reconcile as friends. I look forward to re-making your platonic acquaintance, arch-nemesis." She held out her hand for Farkle to shake.

He shook it, "See you at school on Monday then?"

"Yes, but I must warn you, it is going to be incredibly awkward,"

"As it must be," he said.

Isadora turned to leave, and she was almost at the door before Farkle told her to wait.

"Yes?"

He ran up to her, "Can you, uh, not say anything to Riley. You say I'm in love with her, but I don't know if I am,"

Isadora smiled, "Of course not, but New Years Eve is in less than two months and you of all people believe it's not good to start the new year out on a lie."

And then she turned and left.

Farkle stared at the closed door for a few moments before going and sitting back down on the couch.

Riley? Riley? He loved Riley yes, and when he was younger he'd said he was in love with her, but that was always just a joke, he wasn't really in love with her. He couldn't be in love with her. He'd know if he was in love with her, wouldn't he?

She was in love with Lucas, not him anyway, it was pointless.

Riley's like your sister, he told himself, that's why you care so much.

But she wasn't.

The more he kept telling himself that, the more he kept picturing Riley, smiling, her head tilted, looking at him that way, that why she always did, that way only Riley did.

Brother and sisters didn't look at each other like that.

But Riley loves Lucas, he told himself, she loves Lucas and you know it, you were the one who made sure her voice was heard, you were the one who shouted it out at midnight.

Then he pictured Riley, smiling her wise little smile, nothing could be wrong in the world when she was smiling like that; he realised he was smiling just thinking about it, a large goofy smile. Then his brain seemed to change gears, because now he was imagining kissing her, caressing her cheek. In his mind they were kissing over and over again and each kiss was the best kiss in the world because it was with Riley, yet somehow each kiss was better than the last as well.

Farkle stood up quickly and put his hands on his face and then took them off, as if he could extract his Riley kissing thoughts, but he couldn't.

Isadora had been right.

He'd been in love this whole time and he hadn't even known it.

~

Hope you enjoyed! Please comment and tell me what you thought, next part should be up soon hopefully!