[maine x reader] Locker room blues

Requested by: PhantomNight_thefox

It hadn't taken long for the mute freelancer to make an impression on you. Strong, antisocial, scary, and undeniable attractive. Sure you had never had any interactions but you had an interest in changing that.

You were getting changed out of your armour when he walked in. He had been sent on a different mission and had just got back. You had to force yourself to keep your smile at a short welcoming one as he walked past, grunting ever so slightly. As you turn away to continue to get undressed a wave of embarrassment washes over you. Maine and you were the only ones in the changing room. Usually you two weren't alone.

"How was your mission?" You almost startled yourself with the question pushing its way through your lips. Before you could even register what you had done he was halfway through his reply.

"It was shit" his gruff voice was barely used towards you so it took you by surprise when he actually replied.

"Oh, I'm sorry about that" you had no reason to apologise but it seemed to be the only option springing to mind. This time he didn't reply.

He almost ripped his helmet off, throwing it into his locker, at this point you had to admire the tattoo on the back of his head.

" when'd ya get that? " you gesture to his head and he gave you a fierce stare. His hand reached up to run a hand along the back of his head and he merely shrugs, showing off his muscled shoulders.

" you don't know when you got a tattoo? Was this because of one of the parties I seem to never be invited to? " the last part slipped out and you regretted it, his eyes focused on yours and you looked away shaking your head.

" never mind..." This time it was your turn to terminate the conversation. You had gone and ruined it by bringing up your terrible social life. If there was a leaderboard for popularity you would be nowhere else but the bottom. Hell, even Connie was more social than you.

You reached back to find that the extended part of your bodysuit zip was missing. This seemed to irk you even more and you sat down on the bench angrily. How come everyone had it good but you? Parties, promotions, extra rations. They had banquets whilst you had crackers and cheese. Not that you were dissing crackers and cheese.

" want a hand? " Maine was next to you, going unnoticed until then. You huffed and frowned up at him.

" no." It came out sharper than you wanted, and seeing the expression on his face made it worse.

" I mean... No, I can do it myself.." You repeated yourself, tone softer this time. Maine nodded and walked back to his locker, continuing to get changed.

It was a pain to keep your eyes off him as he stripped to his bare chest and underwear, but shame kept your eyes planted on the ground. You had no way of getting out of your suit in an orderly fashion.

He changed quickly and walked past you towards the door, the only sound being the padding of his feet on the ground and distant chatter from marines.

" Maine..." Tears sprung to your eyes, you knew this would look completely and utterly ridiculous. Thing is, you had a lot of pent up emotions and this so happened to be the small event that tipped you into emotional decay.

You could see Maine turn around and freeze almost, before he walked back over and sat next to you.

" why are you crying? " his gruff voice portrayed what you could only guess was worry. You looked up at him and, God you must have been looking hot, his face actually soften slightly.

" I can't get out of my bodysuit!" You wailed and buried your face in his chest. He sat there unsure of what to do before patting your back softly and pulling away.

" should've let me help..." He grunted, pulling the zip down your back, exposing your skin to the nippy air.

" I know... I should've said yes. I'm so useless. No wonder everyone hates me!" You had a distinct lack of tissues so Maine offered up his spare shirt for you to use. It was almost too inviting to shove your face in the soft cotton, breathing in his scent. It muffled your cries for a second before you blew your nose and started sobbing again.

" I should just drop out of the freelancer programme, I'm obviously worse than the average marine... I'm below average! " blowing nose again. " I can't even understand my own thought process, I can't understand you! You always act like you hate me but I can't tell if you really do. It's vexing because I know that I like you.. Like a lot!"

At that point Maine stopped listening to your upset rant and sat there in a daze. For one, the girl of his dreams thought that he hated him. Every time she would start conversation he'd always be too nervous to reply, he didn't think that would come off looking like hate. But apparently it did. And the second part.. That his dream girl seemingly liked him back the same way?

You were so lost in your own emotion-filled rant that you didn't notice Maine wrap an arm around your back and bring you closer. Only when you were physically interrupted by his lips that you realised what had happened. Straight away your lips started to tingle and your cheeks burned bright red. Maine must have been the same because when you met his eyes you could see the redness of his face.

Maine pulled away a little too soon, staring at you. Probing for a reaction, which he got in the form of the (h/c) haired girl flopping into his arms. Passed out. When you woke up you would probably die from embarrassment.

The gruff softie laid you out on the bench, leaving you a note and a little something he pulled out of his pocket, before walking out to join the other freelancers.

-----

When you woke up you were lost for a second. Why am I asleep in the lockeroo- oh fuck. It all came back to you, your cheeks lighting up again. You were about to rush off when you noticed a note. Picking it up and reading it, it read.

'Party at 8:30, Main hall. Be my date?"

You were about to squeal when you noticed the item he had left behind. Your zipper. On second thought maybe he doesn't deserve a date.