[york x reader] funeral

This one was pretty bad, not gunna lie

Requested by: BOSANova1

It was the funeral day. You usually refused to show up at funerals, there wasn't a point to make things more painful. But you had promised York that you would look after him, and this was part of it. Ensuring he was remembered, buried properly, had roses on his grave everyday, and that his gravestone was nice and clean. That was the underlying promises you made when you said that you would keep him safe and looked after during your days together. So now came the painful part. Dirt was being showered onto the coffin containing your old lover. Not many people had stuck around for this part. Those who did, didn't speak a word. They were too busy holding in your tears, yet you let yours fall freely. You two hadn't been together for long, but you had been there for each other since the day you met. It would take some getting used to, not having anyone to watch your back.

Those who stayed behind started leaving now, probably to go home back to their family and friends. There was a high probability of you camping out at the graveyard, sleeping surrounded by yorks scent, his clothes strewn around and his personal items where he left them would just make the grief worse. So that's what you decided, you would sleep here tonight and tomorrow you would try and find a place to stay.

You gently set yourself down next to the gravestone. The cool temperature of the stone made its way through your black dress, sending shivers down your spine. You immediately missed yorks warmth, the way he would wrap his arms around your shoulders when you were feeling cold. No one was here to do that to you now, and you weren't sure what thought made you feel the loneliest.

The clouds finally released their grey colour, pouring thousands of tiny droplets of rain down onto the graveyard. As soon as it hit your skin you shivered again. You tried to let out a laugh but it came out as a sob.

"This is fucking clique" you smiled up at the sky, lip wobbling uncontrollably. York would have made a joke, probably something cheesy. Warm salty tears mixed with the rain droplets on your face. The rain had gotten heavier and your hair was already matted.

--------

"Where the hell is my umbrella?" The blonde huffed, hunting around for the umbrella he packed in the boot of his car. His suit was starting to get wet and he knew he would get an earful from his mother when he got back. But he couldn't leave you behind in the rain.

Once he found his umbrella he hurried back to the graveyard covered from the rain. Normally he wasn't very social, in fact most would say he's painfully awkward, so it would take a lot of effort to talk to you. Especially after all that's happened, he would most likely just make you cry more.

"Here goes nothing"

-------

Blackness was all that you could see under your eyelids, (no shit) no more swells off-colour danced around. With everything dark it was almost peaceful. The rain was satisfyingly cooling at first, now it had set off a constant shiver to spread through your body.

The patter of the rain on the soft soil masked the sound of approaching footsteps, it was only when the rain stopped that you groggily opened your eyes to see a figure holding an umbrella over you and York....'s gravestone.

"David? What are you doing here?" You looked at the man you had met only a few times and he smiled.

"I... Showed up for the funeral" he sat himself next to you, keeping the both of you sheltered still. You could already feel his warmth in the air, it was a nice change from the cold before.

"I never really knew York that well" the blonde paused for a moment, fumbling over his words before he turned to you with a smile.

"Would you care to tell me about him?"

Gazing up at the grey clouds you yourself smiled too, this time it wasn't forced, it was a natural response to thinking of York.

"He was an amazing, loving, kind... Cheesy man... He made me happy, we were like nacho's and cheese"

Wash frowned a little, slightly confused. Although his eyes only held amusement.

"And your sure he was the cheesy one?" His head cocked to the side with a raised eyebrow.

"Yeah... Yeah I'm sure"