Ch. 55

I walk back to Jim and Caspar and Joe follows. 3 seconds later Marcus and Alfie come back out. Then Niomi, Zoe, and Tanya come out too. We all walk towards the exit and Joe holds my hand. His hands are worn and warm. It feels nice and comforting. We get into the first taxi with Zoe and Alfie. Zoe sits in front so that she can tell the driver where to go and I sit in the back, against the right window while Joe is squished into the middle.

"I hate the middle seat." He grumbles.

15 minutes later we arrive at a log cabin sort of lodge and we all get out. The other cab got stuck in traffic so Tanya says they won't be there for at least 5  more minutes.

"That's okay, I'll just go ahead and check us in." Zoe says.

We walk inside and there are about 4 other groups that are just chillin inside with hot chocolate.

"Sugg reservation." Zoe tells the woman at the front desk.

"Tubing for 9?" She responds.

"Yes but the other half of our group are in traffic so they won't be here for a few more minutes."

"Would you like to wait till they arrive or have them join you outside?" The woman asks Zoe.

"We'll wait."

"Okay there are chess and checkers games and the fireplace is right there and there are refreshments behind that counter." The lady says, pointing. Then she returns to typing on her computer and I walk over to a chess table.

"Wanna play?" I ask Joe.

"I have no idea how to play." He says as he sits down across from me.

"I'll teach you. It's really easy once you get the hang of it."

"So the queen can move in vertical, horizontal, and diagonal for as far as she-" As I'm explaining all of the pieces and their moves I notice that Joe isn't looking at the pieces and how I'm showing him how they move, but he's just looking into my eyes.

"Alright so you get it?" I ask him once I'm finished explaining.

"Um yep I think so." He finally breaks eye contact and stares down at the board.

"So I go first because I have the white pieces." I tell him.

"That's a bit racist don't you think."

"Yeah I suppose but I didn't make the game." I say as I move one of my pawns forward two places. Joe takes one of his pawns and moves it forward one. Then I move my knight out right as everyone else arrives.

"Joe and Kaedan let's go." Zoe says as Joe tries to bring his queen out.

"We'll finish this later and I'll beat you, just watch." Joe says.

I laugh, "Oh yeah I'm sure."

"You'll see."

I laugh at him as we are taken into the back room to get our tubes. They're all blue with black handles. I grab mine and follow Joe outside. It's sooo cold.

"Alright everyone listen up, to get to the top of that hill you will be hooked onto this tube lift. The wire will attach to this handle and you are not to touch it. Once you get to the top of the hill you will be unhooked and you will slide down a small hill. Once you get to the bottom of the hill you will immediately need to walk off to the side to avoid getting hit by the people behind you. Once you are off to the side you can walk to the top of the hill and slide down. Stay on your butt in your tube the entire way down. Once at the bottom, quickly move out of the way so that other people may slide down. Then walk back to the tube lift to repeat the process if you would wish to go again. If you are ever in any danger just blow on the whistle that is attached to your tube and assistance will be with you in less that 90 seconds." The guide sounds like he repeats this to every group- he probably does.

"Thank you and have a nice time." he says before returning to the building.

"Alright lets do this!" Zoe cheers as we all walk to the lift.

"This is going to be so much fun." I tell Joe as he helps me into my tube.

"I'll see you at the top." He tells me as I'm hooked in. I give him a quick peck and then I am being pulled up the hill. A sense of overfilled joy comes through me. I smile as I watch Joe almost fall out of his tube as he gets in.

He's such a dork.