Ch. 24

The kiss was probably nothing.

A mere bubble in the grand scheme of things.

But, for some reason it made me feel endlessly happy yet still there was something wrong about it all.

Today I have to do course recovery which starts in an hour. That means I need to eat the breakfast that Nurse Carla brought me. I take a bite of the sludgy oatmeal and force it down. I decide just to drink the orange juice and eat the blueberries off the top.

My shoulder is actually starting to feel better it's just when someone touches it or moves me around it cramps up again.

I turn on the news to see what's going on in the world.

Isis attacks still threaten millions.

Trump's hair is actually real.

Something catches my attention.

"In the past few years, kidnappings have raised to an all time high. If you or anyone you know might have any information on these next victims said please call us at 566-0897." The news anchor begins to read off some of the names, "Melissa Johns, Cathy Pecire, Josie Banson, Martha Batllway, Olivia Cardison, Lydia Farkpin, Kayla Missun, Tonya Daldwin, Kaedan Mathews, Sinthie Marshon, or Layla Peters."

I turn the TV off.

My phone rings.

"Hello?" I ask my voice still shaken. Someone knows that I got kidnapped. There are people out there trying to find me.

"Kaedan," Joe begins, "Listen, I know you were watching that I can hear the fear in your voice."

"I don't know what you're talking about."

"Don't fucking lie to me Kaedan. Listen, do not call that number. Do not tell anyone who you actually are. Because I swear if you do, I will hunt you down and murder all of your friends and family slowly in front of you, and then I'll put you through the worst torture you have yet to experience. If you thought this was bad then you don't want to know what I would do. Okay? Do you understand me? Good. I'll see you Sunday when I can take you home." And with that, he hung up.

I can't breathe.