Ch. 34

Breakfast is disgusting, soggy eggs with burnt bacon and practically spoiled milk.

The table is silent besides the clink of silverware on the plates. Joe and I sit on opposite sides of the table and I never look up from my plate. I push my eggs around and around, just trying to pass the time.

I'm pretty sure everyone heard our argument, that's why the table is silent.

Zoe's voice breaks the silence, "please pass the salt."

Niomi hands it to her.

"So um, we are going to leave for the beach in about 20 minutes so make sure you're ready."
I've decided to go to the beach still because it'll give me a chance to be outside. Plus I haven't been to the beach since God knows when. I gnaw on some bacon before excusing myself, throwing away the food and talking the steps 2 at a time to our room. I quickly change into the black bathing suit and throw on a grey see through coverup. Then I slip on some flip flops and pack a towel, sunscreen and other things needed for the beach in a large bag that Tan gave to me.

I decide to attempt to brush my ratty looking hair. I brush it out but then come out with a huge knot at the bottom. After about 5 minutes of just brushing that, finally my hair is smooth. I put some sunglasses on top of my head before heading back downstairs to wait. I know that Joe is going to need to get and change into his bathing suit and I don't want to be in here when that happens.

As I'm about to open the door and I them whispering downstairs. I can barely make out a few words so I open the door slightly and it creaks. I freeze until I realize that no one must have heard. I edge it open an inch more till I can hear what they're saying properly.

"What happened in that hospital?" I hear Marcus say.

"I'm not sure, but ever since she has come back she's been different."

"Joe what happened? What were you two fighting about?"

"Oh nothing she was just being a brat."

"It didn't sound like that."

"Why don't you mind your own fucking business Caspar."

"Geez, don't be such a prick dude."

"Whatever."

I hear the screech of a chair against wood and footsteps up the stairs. I quickly duck into the bathroom and pretend to brush my teeth. Joe walks into our room but doesn't come into the bathroom thankfully. I hear drawers opening and then closing. 2 minutes later he opens the bathroom door and my eyes automatically fall to his bare chest.

"Oh wow." I whisper- not knowing that I said it out loud.

His abs. Oh my. They are so perfectly angled and chiseled.

He smirks and does a small half laugh before squeezing past me to get to his own toothbrush. I quickly spit and exit the bathroom, my face turning red.

I take my bag and walk down into the living room to watch TV with Jim and Niomi who are both already ready.

Niomi gives me a smile and Jim's eyes never leave the screen. He looks so concentrated. I look up at the screen to see why.

It's the news. And they're talking about kidnapped girls again. Only this time my picture is up there along with Niomi, Zoe, Tanya, and about 9 other girls.

"Why are they still looking for you?" I ask Niomi, "I thought you were taken by Marcus right after you graduated highschool."

"I was, I have no idea why they are still looking. Tanya was also taken directly after she graduated. Zoe was about 2 years later."