Ch. 46

The car finally gets to the restaurant and we all hop out.

"Shit." I mumble. I forgot a jacket. It doesn't matter though because we are quickly escorted inside.

The restaurant is so gorgeous inside. It has an open room with like 30 tables (all filled)under a  huge chandelier.

Zoe tells the man the reservation and we are guided to our table. I don't see any open tables at all so I begin to worry.

Joe takes my hand as we pass all of the other, mostly older, couples enjoying their meals.

We are taken to a private room with 2 other tables in it that are filled by two lovely couples.

We all sit down except me and Caspar.

"There aren't enough seats." Caspar tells the waiter.

I look at the table. There is no room for any more  chairs.

"Don't worry about it, me and Caspar will just sit at a separate table." I tell the waiter.

"I have no more open in this area though."

"No worries, we will be fine wherever we eat." I tell him.

"Wait, here Caspar take my seat, I'll eat with Kaedan." Joe says, already standing up.

"No Joe, we need to talk about... You know." Zoe gives him a look.

"Don't worry Joe I'll see you after dinner. Plus I need to get to know Caspar." I tell Joe.

Joe frowns and sits back down as the waiter escorts Caspar and I to another table in the corner of the restaurant by the restrooms.

We sit down and wine is brought to us. Caspar orders an appetizer and I just sit there scanning the menu.

"What are you going to get?" He asks me once the waiter leaves.

"I'm not sure yet, what about you?"

"Italian sausage pizza."

"That sounds good. I think I'll go with the Chicken Parmesan." I say closing my menu. Chicken is usually a safe bet when unsure of what to get.

I look up at Caspar who keeps looking over my shoulder. I turn around to see what he is looking at and I see Joe just sitting at the other table, just staring at us. It's a bit creepy but whatever.

I turn back around to Caspar who is now looking directly at me.

"So..." I say trying to break the silence.

"Sorry I'm staring at you, you're just so beautiful."

"aww how sweet. Thank you Caspar."

He smiles at me.

Our appetizer arrives and the waiter takes our orders. Once he leaves I take a sip of my wine.

"Are you excited to go skiing tomorrow?" He asks me.

"Yeah, I used to ski all the time back home." Those last two words come out quieter than I planned.

"Where are you from?"

"Colorado. In America."

"Nice."

"Um what about you?"

"South Africa actually. I moved here a little bit after high school because I had a friend that was living here. Then a few a months later I ran into Alfie who introduced me to everyone, so now here I am."

"Does your family know about... All of this?"

"Uh no. And I would like to keep it that way."

"You think I'm going to somehow get ahold of your family and tell them about all of this? Why would they believe me?"

"Yeah you're right. They wouldn't."

I take a bite of the appetizer. It's fried onions and scallops. I hate sea food.

Caspar on the other hand must love it because he eats almost all of it.

Finally after about 10 minutes of small talk and one trip to the bathroom just to clear my head, our food arrives.

Caspar looks at his pizza like a mother would look at a newborn baby.

Now, we are both too busy chewing our food to talk so we just sit silently, listening to the sound of glasses clinking and silverware on plates.

The chicken Parmesan is so big, I couldn't even finish half, but Caspar ate all of his pizza.

"Want some of my Chicken?" I ask him.

"No thanks, I'm full."

"So when do you think we are going to be leaving?" I ask him.

"Probably soon, I can see them and no one is eating anymore so."

I push the food around on my plate and finish off my wine.

"Um so Kaedan, how are you holding up?"

That's a weird question to ask. Joe doesn't even ask me that and he is supposed to be my boyfriend.

"Why do you care?"

"Just wanted to make sure you're okay."

I feel weird about this. Why would Caspar care about me? We never talk or anything.

"Um yeah, I'm fine."

"That's good, listen Kaedan I just need to tell you something quickly."

"What is it?" He is scaring me.

"Lean in so I can whisper it."

"Okay." I say nervously.

Before I can decipher what he is even going to say Caspar pushes his lips against mine and grabs my head. I try and pull back but Caspar never lets go of me. Finally I manage to pull away and I just stare at him.

"Why the fuck did you do that??"

He just stands. I look behind me and Joe is staring dead into my eyes.

I'm fucked.