Chapter 20

I swung my legs back and forth drumming my fingers on the smooth desk as I sat in History class trying to keep my eyes off the clock ignoring Mrs. Grant's boring lecture. Keep it together Ruby. Just a few more minutes.

I felt a kick on the back of my chair. I glanced back to see Lucas giving me a smirk. I gave him a warning glare, sick of being kicked for the hundreth time. He let out a light chuckle as I rolled my eyes and looked back at the clock.

I blinked repeatingly as I watched the clock with sinister. Okay, the bell will ring in any moment now. 3.....2.....1.....and...

*bell rings*

The bell finally rung meaning that I'm finally free! All the students rose from their seats, gathered their belongings and headed out of class for our lockers. I was shoving in my books to my locker and grabbing my bag as Lucas stood behind me, watching me with a smirk across his face. I swung my bag over my shoulder as I closed my locker and glanced up at him with my arms folded.

"Could you quit annoying me in class?" I whined and he scoffed. "I was bored okay? You look cute anyway when you're mad or annoyed." I gave him a playful punch on his chest and he whimpered playfully.

I was going to punch him again when he grabbed both my arms, pushed me back and pinned me to the lockers.

With Lucas still in a hold of my arms, I reluctantly said, "w-what are you doing?"

Lucas moved his body closer to mines and spoke quietly, "making out with you." I let out a tiny giggle as he cupped my face. He moved his lips toward mine giving me a gentle kiss. I've always found couples kissing in the school corridors really annoying but I guess I'm one of them now.

Our kiss got dismissed by a discreet cough. I looked over Lucas' shoulder to see Felicity smiling with her hands on her hips. She let out an unladylike snort and handed me a piece of paper. "Make sure you love birds be there." She winked at Lucas and he scowled at her as she walked away.

I looked down to the paper. "Felicity's throwing a Halloween party this Saturday." Lucas just sighs. I glanced up at him and asked. "What's wrong?" "Uhh, I don't really know if I wanna be there." I raised an eyebrow. "You don't have a costume?" He let out another deep sigh. "It's not that, I just...I don't really feel comfortable around Felicity."

I rubbed his arm tenderly. "Hey, it's okay. I won't let her do anything to you okay?" He added, "Not me, but you. I'm worried about you. I read her mind and she wanted you... gone."

I scoffed, "She won't dare to touch me with you around. Come on, it'll be fun." He let out a giggle and replied. "Alright, I guess we'll see about it." I gave him a peck on the cheek. "Yay!"

He took my hand as we headed for the front door. "You want me to drive you home?" He offered. I shook my head. "No thanks, I'll walk home." My mom wasn't home so she couldn't pick me up.

"You want me to drive you home?" Lucas repeated emphasizing the 'drive'. I thought for a second about what he meant and nodded. "Uhh sure, as long as no one sees us flying." He shot me a smile and we walked out of the school.

He brought me to an alley not far from the school building. No one was there so we'll easily fly from there.

"Okay, I'm ready to fly." I said to him as I balled my fists. He chuckled and shoved his hands to his pockets. "Who says anything about flying?" My eyes widened. "Wait what?"

He took his hands out and revealed a round glowing blue stone on the palm of his hand. I frowned. "What's this?"

He glanced at me and smiled, "It's a Bline stone. It'll take us to where its pair is." I raised an eyebrow. "Its pair? Where's its pair?" He replied, "Bline stones come in pairs. I placed its pair at your house this morning. It'll get us there in a flash. Come stand closer to me."

I walked closer to Lucas and he threw the Bline stone to the ground in front of him. A blue shiny light circled around us and..

Poof!

We were no longer in the alley but found ourselves standing outside my house. I gasped, "Woah did we just teleported? OMG that was so awesome!" Lucas chuckled and bent down to pick up both the Bline stones that were lying on the ground beside each other.

"I'm glad you're impressed." He said with a smirk. "Impressed? I'm beyond impressed!" He smiled again and pecked my cheek.

"I gotta go home now. Bye babe!" He said as he began to fly. I waved as he flew to the clear blue sky.

I went inside the house to find my mom sitting on the couch. She turned to me as I entered the living room, "Oh honey, I'm so sorry I couldn't pick you up today. I just got home from family business that were doing bad and an-" I cut her off before she could finish. "Hey, it's okay mom. I don't blame you, Lucas can drive me home when you can't. Everything's fine." She nodded in relief. "Ruby, your dad and I...we need to go to Florida for a couple of days on Friday. Your great Uncle Vector passed away and we need to attend his funeral."

"Great uncle who? Wait, never mind that. It's okay mom, I'll be okay here." I replied. "You sure honey? I could always stay here, I don't want you to be lonely." She said as she stroked my hair. I giggled. "I'll be fine mom." She gave me a quick hug and nodded. "If you say so sweetie."

I went upstairs to my room when I felt a buzz in my pocket. I took out my phone to check on a text I received from Maddie.

***

Maddie
Hey have u heard that Felicity is throwing a Halloween Party ? I know u hate her but u have to come

Ruby
Yeah she gave me an invitation but only u have been to her parties and tbh I still dont know if i want to come.

Maddie
Oh come on. She throws the best parties and I cant come without u. If its a costume problem I'd be happy to help. I'll let u borrow one of mines, I've got tons of cool Halloween costumes!

Ruby
Srsly? You'd really do that? Thx so much Madz!

Maddie
Ofc! Thats what friends are for. Dont forget to stop by my house before the party.

Ruby
Okay! I'll be there. Thx again

***

A smile came across my face knowing that Maddie would help me with these Halloween stuff. I placed my bag on the floor and headed for my study desk to do my homework as I plucked my earphones to my phone listening to some music.