Hudson's Heart Chapter Three

"Hey, Georgie! Come and join us." I'm relieved to see Suzie and Greg in the dining room. It's one thing to travel alone, but to eat alone; I really don't like it.
At the same time, I don't want to be the girl that everyone feels sorry for during every breakfast, lunch and dinner.

"I don't mind sitting alone. I don't want to interrupt or anything," I politely say.

"Don't be silly, girl. Sit your ass down," Suzie says with a laugh. I like this girl already. She's spirited and fun.

"So you guys all settled in after having the grand tour of this place?" I ask.

Suzie nods, while breaking off some bread. "Definitely . . . and you?"

My eyes brighten. "I love it here. I also love my little cabin; it's so gorgeous and cosy. So are you both out riding tomorrow?" I excitedly ask.

Suzie's husband vigorously shakes his head. "I'm leaving all the riding to Suzie. I'm here for all of the other activities," he tells me with animated hands.

It's the first time that Greg has actually spoken to me. His voice is softly quiet, but he's friendly enough with his coy slanted smile.

"Yeah, Greg isn't into the horses like I am. He loves fishing and archery, don't you, Babe?" Suzie lovingly looks at him.

"I'm also going to try out some rifle shooting, too," he says enthusiastically.

"I think I'd like to try my hand at that, as well," I say, returning his keen smile.

"So what are you doing after dinner tonight?" Suzie interrupts, taking a sip of her water.

I can't yet answer. I'm just finishing off a mouthful of my delicious steak. I hold up a finger, as if to say 'hold that thought.' "Nothing. It's an early night for me," I eventually reply, reaching for my glass of water.

Suzie leans across the table. "You're on bloody holiday, girl. Come with us into town. We're going for a drink."

I grimace, feeling unsure. "How are you getting there?" I ask.

"They have a cowboy taxi here," Suzie giggles.

I'm grinning . . . totally confused. What exactly does that even mean? Are we going to be taken into town on horseback . . . at night? I stupidly wonder. I must have bloody jet lag or something.

Suzie picks up on my confusion and explains, "Martha said they have someone that will take the guests into town and will pick them up, as well."

I smile, looking down at my well-worn clothes. "Well, I'd like to get changed first, if I go," I say, pulling down on my dishevelled tee.

Suzie tilts her head at me. "Why, have you got someone to impress already?" She smirks.

Defensively, I answer really quickly, "No, I just feel a bit tired with all the travelling. I could do with freshening up first, that's all." I guiltily advert my eyes, feeling myself blush.

Suzie rests her elbows on the table, with her chin sitting on her clasped hands. "I may not know you very well, Georgie . . . but my goodness. You're such a shit liar!" she says with a knowing smile. I try to maintain my innocence with a little shrug of my shoulders, but it's useless. Suzie is a woman's woman. She can smell my obvious interest in someone. I must be like a dog in fucking heat. I grin, looking down at the floor; avoiding eye contact.
"Who is it?" she asks, her questioning green eyes now firmly fixed on me.

"No one," I reply, ignoring her prying stare.

Suzie playfully taps Greg on his arm. "I think I need to get a few more drinks down her first . . . then she'll tell us everything, Babes." She grins at me from across the table.