Hudson's Heart Chapter Four

The morning sun peeps through the cabin curtains. I try to force open my tired eyes, but the light makes them remain stubbornly closed. My head is aching; no, it's bloody pounding. I'm feeling pretty darn rough. I roll over with a feeling-sorry-for-myself sigh. I can hear some voices outside and the faint noise of horses neighing in the background. I turn back over, feeling angry with myself that I do in fact, have the hangover from fucking hell.

I manage to haul my sorry ass out of bed. My body is heavy, but my feet are even heavier. I turn the shower on, slipping out of my vest and knickers; stepping under the soothing warm shower and washing the night before from out of my ebony hair, ridding myself of the alcohol induced grubbiness.

I really think I am going to struggle getting through this day. I am never drinking again!

***

I'm sat quietly eating breakfast when Martha approaches me. She has a spring in her step and a lovely hangover free smile on her face.

"Morning, Georgie. Did you sleep well?"

"Yes, thank you, Martha." As much as it hurts to smile, I smile nevertheless.

"So, you've missed the morning ride, honey. Will you be wanting to go out this afternoon?" She leans against the table.

I instantly perk up. "I'd love to," I say with a grin.

"That's great, I'll make sure someone is able to take you."

I gratefully smile. "Thank you."

Martha is about to walk away but hesitates; she quickly pivots on her heels. "Oh, I don't know whether you know or not. We're hosting a barn dance here, tonight."

I smile widely. Maybe this is the barn dance that Jed mentioned last night, I think to myself. "That sounds wonderful," I brightly reply.

Martha affectionately touches my arm. "They are such fun. You will love it, Georgie." Her attractive matronly face lights up.

"I'm sure I will." The very idea of a barn dance instantly lifts my mood. After all, I was the little girl who used to do that infamous dancing scene from the classic film, Seven Brides For Seven Brothers. I loved the scene where the all brothers dance with the girls. I was literally obsessed with that film. I would get Mum to play it, over and over again.

"So, I'll see you later then?" Martha asks, interrupting the Seven Brides scene that's now playing in my head.

I beam at her. "You certainly shall." I really do like this lady. She's sweetly engaging and good-natured . . . not forgetting the fact that she has the most gorgeous son ever.

"How long have you lived here, Martha?" I ask with curiosity, willing her to engage in a conversation with me.

She sits down with a smile. "All of my life, honey. I couldn't imagine being anywhere else."

It always amazes me how one person can be happy to stay in only one place. "You're very lucky. It really is a stunning part of the world." I mean every word; Prairie Point is a magnificent place to be. It must be wonderful to know that you're waking up to such beauty every single day. I can truly understand why Martha chooses to be here.

"That it is, Georgie. It's a slower pace of life. Sometimes its relaxed way doesn't always appeal to everyone . . . but it's perfect for me. I couldn't have chosen a better place to raise all of my children," she tells me.

"How many children do you have?" I hope my questions aren't coming across as being too nosey, but I'm genuinely interested in Dade's family. Fortunately, Martha is only too pleased to tell me.