ee-6 (Part 6)

YES

{CITY}

I didn’t know if I arrived too late. But when I stopped my car right behind Steven’s, the two were descending from the stairs.

Diane’s face was red with tears. I launched to full sprint in front of them.

“What happened?” I asked Steven and turned to Diane. “What’s wrong?”

Steven sighed and looked her over. “I guess I better go.”

She sniffed or maybe sobbed. I can’t tell the difference yet because I was too distracted on how she’s trying hard to hide her tears. “You should stay for a while, Mr. Ford.”

Steven closed his eyes and slightly turned away from me. “You don’t have to do that, Diane. It’s okay.” His words were whispers in the air. I could feel his goodbyes and wondered if it’s all real. He leaned in closer and I have to step back, feeling awkward. “I’ll send the papers later. It’s a fast process—”

“Steve,” she whimpers and I tried to block the sound out of my head. I hate to hear her like this. I never want to see her like this.

“I’m fine. You’re fine.” And he almost laughed. “Everything’s fine.”

“Will I see you around, Mr. Ford?” She asks so innocently.

I know, without looking, he nodded. “I’ll see you around, Mrs.—”

Then he stopped and cleared his throat.

“I will, Diane.”

I risked a glance and saw Steven kiss her forehead and whisper something I didn’t catch.

But it was close to the words; keep your promise.

He walked away without looking at me. He hopped in his car, rev the engine, drove away and disappeared within seconds.

I stared at her as she watched him go. She sobbed a little harder and I took this as a cue to come nearer and wrap her in my arms. She held on tight for a minute then she pulled away.

I wiped those tears away and asked the stupidest question. “Are you okay?”

“Yeah…,” she nodded and started to walk to the truck. “Can you take me home?”

I grinned and raised a brow. “Why do you think I’m here?”

<3 <3 <3

NO

{COUNTRY}

The wind was refreshing. But maybe it was the new chapter of my life. Later, tomorrow, the day after, I might be the single woman I thought I’ll be at the age of thirty…five.

No. I’ll be a single mom I didn’t thought I’ll be at this age.

I sighed and watched the trees go on as we reached the house. We stayed in the car, though the people were gone and so was Steven.

Steven; the man I thought I’ll always be with. He’s gone now. He set me free—

No. Wrong again; he let me go.

To say that he set me free is still different from letting me go.

How?

There are different definitions for me. But I can’t say it right now. The reason all of this has happened is right next to me, carefully caressing my fingers from across the seat.

“Still breathing, I assume,” he says and I smiled. “Would you like to tell me what happened?”

My smile faded.