Te-6 (Part 2)

Everything Unfinished

{CITY}

I called in Jonathan and Anna.

Sam and Diane were still by the pond, talking now. And within minutes, Jonathan’s pick-up pulls up behind my car.

“What the hell did you do?” Anna, even before she got out, demanded. “What is the matter with you, Bryan?”

“Ease up, Anna,” Johnny warns her but she came at me anyways.

“We grew up in the same orphanage, douche bag. It was an orphanage! Do you know what kind of emotional trauma you put her through?” She shoved me and I staggered back a few steps before Johnny pulled her off.

“C’mon, it isn’t the poor guy’s fault,” Johnny reminds her and suddenly, the two girls were walking to us.

“Yeah, of course not,” Diane says and I looked at her ashen face.

“No.” Sam agrees and takes one look at me before I could react. “It’s mine.”

“What?” Anna spits out and comes to her. “You did this.” And it wasn’t a question. It was an accusation.

“She needs her mother, Anna.” Sam replies but she was already dragged off by Anna far off and farther from the pond.

“Guys, come on, don’t fight!” Diane yells but they were disappearing through the trees. Diane then turns to Johnny and gives a small smile. “I believe you’ve been acquainted with my mother.”

Johnny pales and looks at me. “Yeah,” he says. “Sorry about all of this, D.”

“It’s okay. It’s just—I’m really—I don’t…um—” Her breath shortened at the last um and my heart was crushed the second she tried to grasp a lungful of air. I really put her through hell.

What did I do?

“How ‘bout we all get a drink?” I suggested and Johnny groans.

“You’re such a douche bag.”

“No.” Diane suddenly pipes up. “C’mon, let’s go to Fuel.”

<3 <3 <3

The Fuel

{COUNTRY}

“I missed this place!” I shouted and the drunks raised their glasses to me. I sat by the bar as Johnny mixes up drinks. “C’mon, Bryan, live a little!” I invited as he sat awkwardly on the stool next to mine. “What? Too afraid to get—”

“Here you go, D,” Johnny pushes the glass to me and I was about to take it when Bryan snatches it out.

“No.” He says and I narrowed my eyes at him. “You are not getting drunk.”

2 HOURS LATER

Yes. I didn’t drink.

But they all thought I did. I just needed to act the part.

After all, I am pregnant. What kind of stupidity am I issuing if I drink myself to death?

But as I countered that thought, I looked across the table to Bryan…who told me I am not getting drunk. Apparently, he was.

“I didn’t plan…the thing…,” he explained, his voice slurry. “Sam…she just told me that…Annie…Annie…Annie…she was looking for Annie…and she sent Annie…to the…the…wedding! Cheers!”

I laughed uncharacteristically at him.

“She saw me. And we talked! And we—”

“You didn’t sleep together now, did you?” I raised my brow, teasing him. “She is, after all, my mom. If you slept with her—”