24 • Temptation

Kali: "How much longer until we go back?" Zoey sits next to me in the cockpit of the Atlas, obviously annoyed.

"It has only been three days. We agreed on going back after five days."

"Well I didn't! I miss Liz, Amber and Samantha! I want to go back now!" I sigh and turn to Zoey, tears running down her face.

"Listen Zoey, we need to wai-"

"No! When we wait people die! They always die!" Zoey gets up and runs deeper into the Atlas, crying. I sigh and look out into the woods, birds landing a couple of feet away. Hold in there guys... Only two more days until we are all together again... The birds outside fly away, going in different directions as fast as they can. I stand up and pull up the perimeter cameras, looking for any sign that could have made the birds fly away rapidly. I sit down and let out a breath of relief when nothing shows up on the cameras. Calm down Kali. You need to relax, you guys are safe out here.

"Hello Kali." My body tenses as I register James' voice, right behind me. "Sorry did I startle you?" I struggle as my body lifts off of the chair, turning to face James. "There we go." He sets me down, smiling at me.

"What do you want from us?" James shakes his head and steps closer to me. I step back immediately, taking out my Crimson and aiming it at his chest.

"I want my friend to be with me again. We were such a good team, you and I." I clench my teeth and tighten my grip on the Crimson, my finger hovering over the trigger.

"I will never be your friend again. Not after everything you have done." James' smile disappears.

"I guess I will have to change that then." I wince as he pulls out a knife, once it is out of his pocket the knife enlarges into a long sword. He aims the sword at me, the tip touching my neck. "You can see your mom again and then when I am done with my plans here I will join you two. We will all be happy again, like the good old times!"

"James killing me won't make anything better for you. It won't make me want to be your friend again." I wince as the point of the blade draws blood. I shut my eyes and wait for death, each second filling me with more and more fear. My eyes fly open when I hear the sword drop to the ground, turning it back into a knife. I look up at James, tears running down his face.

"I... just want you to be happy again... I want to be happy again..." James steps back from me. "I miss you Kali..." I wipe tears from my eyes as he does the same. "Can you ever forgive me?" I nod and wipe more tears away as James steps towards me.

"Do you really want to make things right James?" James takes another step forward and nods. "Then you need to help my friends and me, okay?" James nods again and smiles.

"We're working together like old times again Kali." I nod and give my best smile. Just make him think you forgive him long enough to save the others and kill him.

"We are. Now will you help me?"

"Of course." I nod and smile again, this time the smile being real happiness. James' obsession with us being close again is what will save everyone.

"I am really glad we are working everything out. You don't know how much I have missed us being close together. It has been so lonely without y-" Blood comes out of James' mouth as a katana blade goes through his stomach, blood also spilling out over the floor. The blade withdraws, James moving to the side to see who stabbed him. Xileth stands in the entrance way, katana aimed at James.

"Leave before I make sure you're dead." James touches his wound, blood pooling from his hands. I watch, horrified, as James begins to laugh psychotically.