5 • The Mission

Three Days Ago

"Can you do that for us Kali?"

"Yes sir!" Kali salutes the hologram and walks out of the Meeting Room, barely containing her excitement as she walks back to her room. An actual mission for me to prove my worth to the Alliance! The door to the Meeting Room closes behind her as she begins to walk down the hallway, two soldiers at each door. She greets some as she passes, only being acquaintances with them.

~ ~ ~

"You sure you want to do this mission?" Jordan sits down next to Kali on her couch, handing her the file.

"Of course I'm sure! This mission could finally end all the jokes made about my family." Jordan nods, sighing before talking.

"You don't need to worry about what other people think of you, you are perfect the way you are." Kali tries to hide the small smile on her face as she opens up the file and begins to review the information. 

"Thank you Jordan, that means a lot to me but... I need to do this. It is something that I need to do for personal reasons." Jordan nods and rubs the bridge of his nose. 

"Is this for him?" Kali freezes as she looks at the file, slowly looking up at Jordan. 

"What do you mean 'for him?'" Jordan shakes his head. 

"I mean is the reason that you are doing this because of J-" 

"Kali, report to Bay 300 for the gear you'll need to for the mission." Logan's voice echoed from the loudspeaker in the room, Kali quickly closing the file and standing up while dropping the file on the couch next to Jordan and walking out of the room as quickly as possible. Jordan curled his hand into a fist and slammed it against the back of the couch, looking down at the file in anger as he stood up.

"It's always for you." His eyes narrowed at black writing on the notebook, the name one he had grown to hate, before walking out of the room. 

"Hello?" Kali knocked again on the Bay 300 door, tapping her foot while she waiting for Logan to open it up. She let out a breathe of relief as the door opened, finally walking into the large hanger reserved for the two best scientists of the Alliance Of Overgaard. 

"I'm over here!" Kali navigated her way through the maze of inventions and inventions-to-be until finally getting to Logan who was standing at his desk. 

"What are you up to?" Logan turned and motioned to a piece of paper on the desk, smiling with triumph before speaking.

"My la-!"

"Our latest invention you mean." Fuse poked his head out from behind a shelf and smiled at Kali. "Hey Kali."

"Hey Fuse." Kali waved to him before turning back to Logan. "So what's this invention?"

"Logan will tell you. I am looking for something at the moment..." Fuse quickly went back to searching through the shelf. Logan sighed and handed the piece of paper to Kali. As he gave her the paper she noticed pieces of the paper, all in varying shapes and sizes. Must be in high demand...

"This looks like normal paper correct? Well it isn't! This paper isn't even paper at all! It can project a hologram of anything programmed into its database. All by saying the words: 'Science is better than magic.'"

"Really? You made the phrase that?" Fuse poked his head out from the shelf again, glaring at Logan. 

"Yeah I made it that! Science is better than magic!" Fuse sighed and walked out from behind the shelf, going over to his desk next to Logan's.