19 • Living In Shadows

They hid for most of the week, living off of the supplies they had. They knew it would run short soon but it was too risky to venture into the villages for food. Someone would recognize them, it had only been a week after-all.

Oracle ships fly overhead during the nighttime, their beams of light illuminating the land. There was no announcement about their escape from what the fugitives knew. Some were thankful while others grew worried.

Would anyone know and would they even care? If word didn't get out how would the Alliance find and save them? Could the Alliance save them?

~~~

Elizabeth: Stupid wheelchair, stupid paralysis, STUPID EVERYTHING. I got Zoey shot, I am a liability to the group! I use up supplies and can't help get any! There is no use in me even being around...

~~~

Kali: We only have food for a day now and we need to organize a group to go into the nearest village. Liz won't talk anymore and didn't eat breakfast this morning, I'm worried for her but I have more important things to worry about.

"So who should stay behind?" Thomas checks the ammo in his Nightfall rifle and looks at me.

"Logan, Zoey and Liz will obviously be staying here but I do not know about Amber, Samantha, you and me." I sigh and rub my forehead.

"The less we bring to get food would be better because we won't draw as much attention." I nod and stand up, Thomas standing up with me.

"It will be the two of us that go then. Would that be okay Thomas?" He nods and smiles at me.

"You're a great leader Kali. Your mother would be proud." I smile at him and walk deeper into the cave. Would she be proud of me? I pushed James away and caused the death of Sarah...no. I didn't kill Sarah, James Nightlock did. I feel my hands clench into fists as I sit down and shut my eyes before rubbing my forehead again.  

~~~

Samantha: I finish checking the ammo of my Nightfall rifle and crouch at the cave entrance, keeping guard. This past week has been uneventful but everyone's been on high alert. Yesterday, Amber and Kali got into a fight, Amber apparently never wanted to leave that base...

"You ready?" Thomas stands next to me and looks at the valley beyond this cave. I stand and look at the moonlight valley.

"Ready as I'll ever be... Listen I don't think Amber should be left here." I turn to Thomas, hoping he'd understand.

"It would be worse if she came with us, Samantha. She would get us caught so we could go back to that place."

"What about 'keep your friends close and your enemies closer'?" Thomas chuckles to himself and sighs before looking at me.

"I'll stay here then and keep guard while you and Kali go into the village." I nod to Thomas and smile.

"Thanks Thomas. Keep an eye on them..." Thomas nods and puts his hand on my shoulder.

"Keep my daughter safe okay?" I nod to him and walk out of the cave, letting Thomas tell Kali that he is not coming with us. I hear their voices as they talk to each other but can't understand what is being said.

"Let's go." Kali walks past me and continues down the slope into the valley. I catch up to her and we walk down side-by-side until hitting the valley. "Here," Kali throws me a jacket way too large for me. "Hide the rifle under it." I put it on, hiding my rifle as Kali does the same with another jacket.

"What do we do if they notice us?" We walk towards the village, no hiding or sneaking just walking.

"We shoot and run. Make sure to get as many supplies as possible as you run too."