23 • The End Of The Beginning

Amber: "Stay in here until I say it is safe okay?" Aya and a couple other villagers nod as I shut the front door.

"Thank you." I barely hear Aya from inside as I look around, many of the houses on fire. I stay hidden behind walls as I make my way through the village, avoiding any open areas. As I walk down a small alley I feel something soft under my foot. Looking down, I jump back in horror as I see the arm of a human being. I look up from the arm and see the rest of the body, crudely thrown about the rest of the alley, blood on the walls. I quickly covered my nose and made my way through the carnage, falling to my knees and gasping for air.

"Well we meet again it seems." I spin around and look up at Amanda, smiling crazily at me. She kneels down in front of me, black flames going up the buildings behind her. "Have you discovered my surprise for you?" I stare at Amanda, trying not to let any emotion break through my steel gaze. Amanda frowns and stands up straight. "I guess you have failed to notice it yet. Don't worry though, it should kick in soon my dear!" Amanda clapped and smiled at me. "You will absolutely love my gift to you! However," Amanda become serious, her mood completely different. "I have things to do, places to be you know? I will always be in here if you need to talk." Amanda tapped her forehead and smiled at me again. "See you soon!" The world seemed to shift, my vision going blurry, as Amanda walked down the alley. In seconds the blurriness dissipated and Amanda, seconds before standing in the alley, was now gone. I slowly stand up and begin to make my way back to Aya's home. I jump as the black flames burst into red flames, some houses collapsing from the pressure of this change.

I still walk stealthily back to Aya's home, nervous of any other interlopers. Luckily I make it back without any other incidents, I knock on the door three times and call out, following the code discussed before my departure.

"Amber Lyrane is confirming the all clear." After a couple seconds I hear the door unlock and am greeted by Aya.

"Come in, quickly." Aya locks the door behind me, some other people putting back the barricades. "While you were gone," Aya grabs a candle off of the counter as we walk, "we estimated how much food we have and for how long we can survive off of it." I nod as we enter the kitchen, the others gathered around the table in the kitchenette.

"How long can we survive?" I sit at the counter while Aya sets the candle down next to the sink.

"Only two weeks. Obviously if there are others who are still alive in the village it will be less."

"What if we find food from other homes? What is your key supply of food for the village?" I shift in my chair. It is strange being in a leader position when I just followed the rules set out for me.

"If we find food that will obviously help us. Our main food supply comes from shipments sent by the Nightlock Empire. We are in the middle of establishing a farm, the next shipment having seeds and tools." Aya hands me a glass of water as she walks around the counter and sits next to me.

"When does this shipment come?" Aya frowned and rubbed her chin.

"I think in a week... Daniel dear when does the next shipment come?" Aya turns as a man, no older than twenty, walks into the kitchen.

"In a week I believe." Daniel looks at me and smiles as Aya nods and turns towards me.

"We could get a ride with them right Amber?" I nod and stand up. I won't be able to go with them when the shipment comes... James would keep me captive forever...

"I will be right back. I just need to check something." I quickly walk out of the room and upstairs, going straight to the balcony. I keep my eyes shut and breath in slowly as the cool breeze covers my body.