27 • Picking Up The Pieces

Samantha: "I-I'm pregnant...?" The doctor clears his throat again before meeting my eyes and nodding slightly.

"We are so sorry Samantha, we can abort the child if you wa-" I hold my hand up to him before falling to my knees.

"I-I need t-time to think..." The doctors, all three of them looking at me, nod and help me stand.

"Of course," The doctor clears his throat, "have all the time you need." I don't know when a guard comes to take me back to my quarters, I barely feel anything as I fall onto the floor of the corridor. I am pregnant... I... Tears come to my eyes as I am carried back to my room, broken. The guard gently puts me down on the bed, leaving me to my own thoughts. I fall asleep, tears still wet on my cheeks.

~~~

"You have to wake up." I am gently woken by the guard. He holds out a pill and a glass of water for me. I nod to him and take the pill, leaving him with the glass of water. I turn away from him and settle back down to sleep but my thoughts stop me. Should I kill it...? The baby was forced into me, no love or anything. I don't want it but a part of me needs this child.

This baby will only represent the ugly in my life, why would I want to do that to it? One part.

It is still a child though, how can I kill it? The other part.

The thoughts begin to eat me up inside. They'll understand if I want to end the child right? I was r-raped... Surely they could understand. I shake my head, knowing that I don't care if other people understand. The real problem is if I could forgive myself if I kill it. I know it is wrong but it was forced upon me, why should I keep it?

"I decided." The guard nods to me as I sit up. Though most of the place is on low lighting I make out our surroundings easily as the guard brings me to the medical bay. A woman runs up to us, a doctor I have never seen before, and asks what is wrong. The guard whispers something to her, the woman's eyes widening before nodding towards me.

"The doctor will be in shortly to hear your answer." The woman squeezes my hand and smiles, sadness in her expression, at me before leaving the room. I shut my eyes and go over my choices again, needing to make sure my decision is correct.

"Samantha." My eyes fly open when I hear Noah's voice.

"Noah?" I look around the small room and shake my head. Calm down, you're just hearing things. You're nervous about your decision so you're hearing things. Just calm down and count to three. One...Two... Three... I let out a relieved sigh before going back to my inner conflict.

"Hello Samantha, you have made your decision?" I open and my eyes and nod at him. "You sure you don't need more time?"

"No... I made my decision." The doctor nods and pulls up a chair in front of me, sitting in it. I let out a shaky breath and shut my eyes. Is this really what I want? Yes it is. I have made my decision and that is final. I open my eyes and look at the doctor. "I want to keep the child."

~~~

Amber: "That is how you came across obtaining wings Ms. Lyrane?" The woman, Cassandra, looks at me with a little more than just suspicion. I don't care if she believes me or not, as long as I know that I am telling the truth.

"Yes." Cassandra finishes writing my story into an electronic notepad before looking back to me.

"This will sound random but do you know a Lord Nightlock?" Cassandra flinches at my cold gaze as I hear his name.

"Yes I do. I was in one of his bases with my friends." Cassandra nods and writes what I said down.

"Do you know where your friends are now?"