25 • The Cruel Reality

They prepare her for surgery, somewhat nervous due to the man watching them closely. They know he is here but she does not. She is fast asleep as they begin to operate on her back, using their newly found technology to fix the nerve cells. The operation takes three hours before the doctors begin to file out, trying not to look at the man as they leave.

He stays in her room, watching her sleeping body carefully. Any movement from her makes him tense up, afraid to be seen by her. He does not want to be the first thing she sees when she wakes up. The only other one who knows of his visits, sworn to secrecy, is a little girl named Zoey. She is the only other one that was with him for those three hours of Elizabeth's surgery and the only one allowed with him when he went to visit Elizabeth.

~~~

James: I clench my teeth and sigh.

"Fine I agree to your terms." Zoey grins at me and we shake hands, keeping our voices low outside of Elizabeth's room.

"I knew you'd come around."  I sigh again and stand.

"I am guessing you want me to go there now and bring him back, right?" Zoey nods happily. "And you won't tell her while I am gone?" Zoey makes a 'zipping my mouth shut' motion and smiles. I let out another sigh and lean against the wall. "Fine." Zoey does a little dance before walking into Elizabeth's room. I shut my eyes and clench my hands into fists. I can't believe that I have to agree to a kid's demands...

I frown and open my eyes, stepping away from the wall of the Atlas and look around. No one seems to be inside, good. I did not want to appear and have to fight right off the bat. I check the ship and leave when I confirm no one is present.

"I know this is bad right now Xileth but we need to check the village! Amber and Samantha could still be there, I know Liz isn't but who knows about them?!" I hear someone, most likely Xileth, agree and realize where I am. The Atlas is on top of where the cave is, the burned village in the distance. Xileth and Kali walk down the hill, oblivious to me standing by the Atlas. I watch as they enter the village and let out a sigh. This is going to be annoying... Large, black wings come from my back as I take off my jacket. I fold the jacket and launch myself into the sky, flying towards the village.

~~~

Logan: I watch the old woman as she prepares food for the others. She obviously is worried about something and I notice her tense as another man, the one who confronted her in the woods, walks up behind her. They share a couple of words before the man growls at her and leaves the room, the woman relaxing. This isn't you Logan. 

I take out my new Nightfall rifle, thank the Nightlock soldier who no longer has a neck, and look down the scope at the old woman's head. Wait no, I move the scope until it aims at her neck. Stop this Logan, don't let James control you. Maybe she'll have a while of suffering if I shoot her here... Wait no. The shoulders would be the best, both of them. The woman turns and carries a tray of food out of my sight. Stop this Logan! Stop! I sigh and jump down from the tree, ignoring the pain in my leg. That stupid soldier tried to break my knee so I traded a hurt knee with ripping out the guy's neck. A completely fair trade. Claw out the device! Take back your body and crush to controller!

I move closer to the house and take out another prize weapon from the soldier. I look down at the metal cube and smile, I have no idea what it does but I sure as hell wanna try it out. I am about to press the button when I hear a knock come from the other side of the house. Moving swiftly I watch as Kali and Xileth enter the house. My smile only widens as I realize that my dream is coming into a reality. She was begging for m- No! That was a nightmare not something you want to happen! Fight against it Logan!