Epilogue

I swear everything moved in slow motion.

I heard the gunfire. I felt Sam get pushed back by the force of the gun. I heard the sound of the bullet piercing flesh, Luis's flesh.

I ran to him, catching him in my arms as he slowly fell to the ground. He lie there for 4 hours, slowly bleeding out in my arms. But there was nothing I could do.

Luis Black died that day.

I see him a lot. He comes to me in the wind, whispering in my ears and enchanting me with his words. I sometimes I think I'm going crazy.

But I realise I'm not going crazy; I am crazy, I've been crazy for a long time.

Right now I'm sitting on a rock in the middle of nowhere waiting for a sign of Luis. I have a journal with me and I write everything he says to me. Even in my imagination he's the same person he used to be.

And that was 12 years ago.

"Harper." He never greets me with hello, just my name. I turn to see him walking out of the trees and towards me, the same half smile on his lips.

"Hey Luis." I smiled as he sat down in the grass in front of me. "Nice day, isn't it?"

"I think so." He nodded, looking up at the sky. He was wearing his signature grey shirt and blue jeans, the clothes he was wearing when he died. "I was just thinking about the day on the fence. You were shooting and I was doing my weekly rounds to each station."

"I don't remember

"I don't remember." I shook my head.

"You were picking off a few Lurkers, and I stood directly behind you." He said, picking up a stick and making circles in the dirt. "I kept thinking how lucky we were to have a shot like you."

"I was no good and you know it." I scoffed.

"No, you were brilliant." He smiled softly. "I was always jealous of you. Of your talents and your kindness. I never had that kindness."

"We needed you to be tough, you were our leader." I smiled. "That's the reason I liked you so much at the start. You were so confident and so worried about everyone. I admired how much you cared for Chicago."

"Is that the reason you kissed me on the roof?" He asked, looking up at me with a sense of amusement in his eyes. "You told me you loved me and I threw it back in your face."

"Don't remind me."

"Isn't it good to be reminded? Saves you from forgetting important things." He said. "I loved you Harper, I just didn't realise it yet."

"It took you a while." I said.

"Trust me," He scoffed, "It didn't take me that long."

"I know." I smiled.