Chapter 2

The rest of the lecture was extremely stressful. What if the God of Death decides to kill me?! I am a human and he is a Mighty God! Sh*t! Sh*t! Sh*t!

The bell rings and I bolt out of that class faster than I thought was humanly possible. Pun intended.

I dash away, running to the nearest girls' bathroom. I zoom inside, clutching the sink and looking at my reflection in the mirror. I take a deep inhale. I am safe in here.

Deep Breath Evangeline. Deep breath. A swirl of black smoke starts to form behind me and I flip around. My scream echoes across the bathroom as Haden appears from that smoke.

Today is the day I die.

Haden crosses his arms, the powerful muscles flexing, "Oh shut it."

I do as I am told. However, that doesn't last for long.

Haden opens his mouth but I interrupt in shock, "What are you doing here?! This is the girls' restroom!"

Haden Hades waves me off, "Dead people come naked to my realm so I had my fair share on underparts. Chill."

"Chill. Interesting term for a cold dead guy," I snap. My hand flies to my mouth. Again I insulted him?? Yep, so dead. So so soooooooo dead. Why is my sarcasm turning on now?!

I frown, "Why are you here then if not to kill me?"

"Kill you? What the f—...? You aren't worth a penny of my time, mortal! Anyway, I wanted to ask you about your anger." He scoffs.

"W-wha?" I ask. Did I hear him right? He didn't ask me how I wanted to die? He asked me about my anger... What the flip!

"Your anger." Haden repeats, getting annoyed for repeating himself. "My smoke has the ability to show the most fearful and powerful hidden emotion in a creature. For most gods, its death for we live almost to immortality. For humans, its usually death also.... But you—you were angry. You were angry at me. May I ask what I did?"

I shake my head, averting my eyes. This could be dangerous for me. "Nothing..." I almost whisper.

"That's a lie." He sneers.

I bring my head up, catching his gorgeous blue eyes. "Nothing," I repeat with more confidence. Haden smirks, making his way over to me. I step away. My back presses up against the sinks and he takes a step closer.

Once again, I'm going to die.

Haden leans forward. His powerful arms go onto the counter, trapping me between them. "You may be good at lying with others, but you are a book to me. So don't lie, and I'm going to try again." He teases oh so coyly.

I turn pale but now my anger was returning. How dare he hold me captive between his muscular arms and force me not to lie to his perfect face! Lies were my cover in this God forsaken world! Pun intended.

"Why are you angry?" He tries again calmly, holding my eyes.

"I am not angry." I again answer, trying to keep my annoyance hidden.

Haden squints his gorgeous crystal blue eyes and pulls away, "Hmm."

I release a breath of relief.

Haden clicks his tongue, "We aren't done yet little Cupid's sister."

Smoke fills the room and instantly that comfortable cold surrounds me. I feel my shoulders sag in relaxation.

My anger turns on. Like a switch. "Well I'm glad its Cupid's sister rather than scum!"